|Job Type:||Full Time|
Our people are central to our success.
With a global business, we offer diverse and rewarding careers. We are committed to Thiess being a company and a culture where great people can excel and where they are developed and supported to reach their highest potential.
Join our team of industry leaders – because with us, your skills, knowledge and experience will make a difference to the benefit of our clients, communities and project partners.
With a history since 1934, Thiess is the world’s largest mining services provider. We offer the widest range of in-house surface and underground mining capabilities in leading commodities across Australia, Botswana, Canada, Chile, Indonesia and Mongolia. Every day, we optimise the mining lifecycle to create lasting value.
Thiess has an exciting new Senior Legal Counsel position based in Perth, with oversight of our operations in Western Australia, South Africa and Botswana.
About the role
As our next Senior Legal Counsel, you will have a demonstrated ability to uphold professional standards, escalate ethics and integrity matters when advising the business whilst balancing commercial and internal drivers. Reporting into the General Counsel’s global legal team and to the Executive General Manager WA and Africa, you will provide targeted support to Thiess’ operations in Western Australia and Africa, working closely with key stakeholders to effectively manage legal risk.
In this role, you will:
- Provide pragmatic, innovative and commercial advice
- Develop and maintain commercial and respectful relationships with clients, regulators, joint venture partners and other business partners
- Negotiate contract terms with clients, subcontractors, OEMs and suppliers
- Have a detailed understanding of contractual and legislative interpretation with practical, commercial advice on its application to the business
- Prepare and deliver relevant and targeted commercial and compliance training to the business
- Proactively manage claims, disputes, and litigation
- Conduct Code of Conduct and Safety investigations
- Manage a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Travel to South Africa and Botswana as required
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in law and admitted to legal practice with a current practising certificate
- 8-10+ years post-admission experience
- Experience in resources industry (preferred)
- External law firm experience (preferred)
- Ability to collaborate with key stakeholders and personnel with integrity at all times
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft systems including Sites, PowerPoint and Excel, as well as network drive administration
- Willing to travel (required)
Our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce
We recognise the value of an inclusive and diverse workplace through our vision: everyone matters always.
Through this vision, we will build a community where respect, value and thoughtfulness toward each person will underpin their ability to bring their full self to work because here they will be empowered, safe and included.
How to apply
This role is an opportunity to make the next step in your career. With our culture of recognition, development, and a stimulating and satisfying work environment there is no better time to join Thiess.
To apply for this role please follow the below link. Applications close 30 August 2019 at 5pm .