|Job Type:||Full Time|
Amazon.com is looking for best-in-class Network Engineers to drive the deployment, scaling and automation of one of the world’s largest and complex networks: the AWS Direct Connect service - the service that connects AWS to our largest customers in datacenters around the world. With Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com), our goal is to become “The Infrastructure Platform” to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services and challenge us to be better, faster, and cheaper every day. We are expanding at a tremendous rate; it is our responsibility to maintain quality and reliability while developing innovative ways to automate the scaling of our network.
We have network engineer positions open in Seattle WA, Herndon VA, Sydney Australia, and Dublin Ireland.
First, a bit of background:
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and networking services that help organizations move faster, lower IT costs, and scale applications. Our services are trusted by the largest enterprises and the hottest startups to power a wide variety of workloads.
The AWS Direct Connect team delivers solutions that make it easy for customers to establish a dedicated network connection from their premises to the AWS cloud. These connections help to reduce network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections. AWS Direct Connect is currently available in more than 91 locations located in 28 countries.
As a Network Development Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will:
- Be responsible for deploying datacenter network infrastructure across our network fabrics that support the Amazon Retail Service, Kindle, Payments and multiple AWS services.
- Deploy critical Tier 0 services relied upon by customer-facing systems as well many internal services, including Amazon Retail
- Deploy, scale and automate our network across multiple global datacenters. This includes existing footprints and greenfield locations.
- Drive scaling of current network designs to meet the demand of our customers.
- Create simple, repetitive deployment processes that increase both velocity and quality.
- Work closely with our internal customers on designs/solutions; bringing those designs/solutions from concept to production.
- Create and update our network standards and ensure that the network is deployed to these standards.
- Create and implement changes on the network.
- Work closely with our automation teams in defining the tools that allow us to scale at unprecedented volume.
- Draft scripts for automating configuration and other tasks using tools such as Python, Perl, etc.
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills and has a successful track record of designing simple, scalable solutions and troubleshooting complex network problems, and delivering innovative solutions and complex projects on time. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
A positive attitude and strong work ethic are non-negotiable: as a start-up, we wear many hats, we work fast and smart, and we adapt and iterate quickly. We are looking for someone who is ready to roll-up their sleeves and get going quickly.
Note: this role can be based in Seattle WA, Sydney Australia, Dublin Ireland or Herndon VA.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is required.
- Candidates should have 5+ years industry experience in a similar environment.
- Excellent IP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application and troubleshooting of IP protocols.
- Excellent TCP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application and troubleshooting of TCP.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP and OSPF
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with major router platforms; specifically with Cisco 37xx, 49xx, 65xx, 73xx, 76xx, Nexus 7K and Juniper MX/EX platforms including all compatible supervisory and line cards for these platforms.
- Experience working with large-scale networks
- Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
- Candidates should also have had significant past experience with, and expertise in many of the following protocols & technologies: DWDM, 802.2/3, 802.1d VLANs/STP, IPv4 & IPv6, TCP (internals & flow control), BGP, OSPF, HSRP/VRRP/GLBP, PIMv2, IGMP, LDP, TACACS, IPSEC & VPNs, netflow, DNS, HTTP, SSL, 40/100Gbps.
- Unix/Linux familiarity required, scripting in Python, Perl, or shell is desirable
- A background in large-scale network design is highly desired.
- Software development/programming/scripting skills are a huge plus.
- Excellent analytical skills.