|Job Type:||Full Time|
At Xero, we’re here to make running a business beautiful. By making small business more efficient every day, connecting them with big business technology and empowering a community behind them, their potential is limitless. When that happens, we’re not only helping small business, we’ll be building a stronger economy that can change the world.
A global SaaS (software as a service) company we have a team of almost 2,000 Xeros doing beautiful work across our 17 offices across the globe. We’re ranked No. 1 by Forbes as the World's Most Innovative Growth Company two years running, Glassdoor named us one of the top 15 best SaaS companies in the world, and Canstar Blue has ranked us Australia’s best accounting software company for four consecutive years (2015-2018).
About the role
As Xero’s next DevOps Engineer you will work in a cross-functional product development team. In this role you will be responsible for ensuring our tooling is an enabler of organisational agility. And that we have robust and automated processes that move code from commit, through build and automated quality assurance processes, to deployment to staging environments and thereafter into production environments. To do so it would be great for you to have knowledge and experience of relevant technologies used throughout the SDLC. Such as source control systems (in particular Git), build tools (such as TeamCity, Bamboo, etc), deployment tools (such as AWS CodeDeploy, TeamCity,, Octopus Deploy, etc) and monitoring tools (such as Cloudwatch, New Relic, etc.).
You will also play a role in ensuring the products that this cross-functional team is responsible for are available, secure, scalable, robust, high performing and cost effective to serve both Xero customers and partners.
You will do this through..
- Supporting Product Development teams to build amazing tooling and work to up-level capabilities of the team generally in deployment automation
- Creating an environment that enables and promotes regular small deployments to production, assisting the team to move to continuous deployment
- Assisting with the release process and develop tooling to automate repeated tasks
- Identify and promote opportunities to enhance the use of technologies and apply Xero’s development standards and help grow and promote patterns, practices and standards to improve deployment automation
- Identifying and promoting opportunities to enhance the use of emerging infrastructure and PaaS technologies where they support Xero’s strategy and business needs
- Contribute infrastructure expertise to the product development process. Design and implement infrastructure solutions during product development
- Mentoring product team members from other disciplines about infrastructure and raising the awareness of infrastructure and operational concerns as a key consideration of product development
We are looking for someone who thrives in a cross functional environment, who is passionate about building quality software and impacting the growth and learning of the people around them. To be successful in this role you will ideally have previous experience working in a DevOps, Release Engineering, or similar position. Alongside with experience across broad technology domains, alongside:
- Experience with Test-driven or Spec-driven testing and QA practices
- Experience with Windows and/or Linux administration, and Infrastructure management in AWS.
- Ability to improve release processes and deployment pipelines using approaches like blue/green deployments, canary releases, and testing in production.
- Hands-on experience managing infrastructure in a high-availability environment, preferably with Docker, Kubernetes, Postgres and AWS
- Experience building and maintaining highly available systems ideally with Configuration Management Systems such as Chef or Puppet
- Being comfortable with Agile methodologies
- A successful track record of providing tooling and support for multiple development teams and/or large-scale distributed systems
- Experience scripting in PowerShell, Python and bash.
Xero is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, foster innovation and reward success.
If you want to come to work with friends every single day and help to make Xero even more special, please apply!