|Job Type:||Part Time|
- CBD location, close to public transport
- Work part-time (30 hours per week)
- Supportive team environment
Queensland Law Society (QLS) is the professional body for legal practitioners, representing more than 10,000 members state-wide. We lead the legal profession by advocating for good law and supporting good lawyers.
The role of the Legal business unit at QLS is to provide legal advice to the Chief Executive Officer, Council, QLS staff and the Legal Practitioners Admission Board (the Board) concerning all facets of QLS’s and the Board’s operations, managing litigation against QLS and processing applications under the Right to Information Action 2009 and the Information Privacy Act 2009 and the Privacy Act 1988(Cth)
Reporting into our Legal Counsel, our Senior Solicitor will ensure the provision of high quality, independent legal services to the CEO, Council, QLS staff and the Board and the processing of applications under the RTI Act, the IPA and the PA.
This role is part-time (4 days/30 hours per week) and permanent.
- Providing independent in-house legal advice directly to QLS’s Council, the Chief Executive Officer and its officers, as requested.
- Providing independent legal services to the Board.
- Advising on the Society’s regulatory regimes and legislative compliance requirements.
- Managing the Society’s exposure to risk by reviewing and advising on contracts and the full range of its commercial and member-focused activities.
- Managing the Society’s commercial profile including advising on reputational risk and IP.
- Advising on administrative and public law matters in relation to the Society’s regulatory obligations.
- Proactively contributing to ensuring the Society’s compliance with its statutory obligations including Right to Information and Information Privacy and ensuring RTI, IPA and PA requests are managed effectively.
- Maintaining QLS corporate records, including establishing systems for storage and access to corporate contracts and corporate policies.
- Provide independent legal advice to QLS in an accurate and timely manner that enables the client to easily understand and put the advice into effect.
- Provide legal advice relating to QLS’s contracts, including QITC agreements, and commercial portfolio, including reviewing and negotiating commercial terms for the business and general contract management.
- Drafting of correspondence for the President and Chief Executive Officer as requested.
- Other responsibilities as directed by the Legal Counsel
Key skills required:
- Possession of a law degree and eligibility to hold a Queensland practising certificate.
- A minimum of 7+ years PAE.
- Experience in corporate/commercial and/or administrative/government law highly regarded.
- In-house experience highly regarded.
- Strong critical and strategic legal analysis and research skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce practical solutions to complex issues and alternatives to business proposals requiring legal workarounds.
- Sound level knowledge of government structures and processes including procurement and QITC schemes.
- Sound level knowledge, or ability to rapidly acquire knowledge, of the legislation regulating, and the issues facing, QLS, the Board, Council and the legal profession.
- High level written communication skills with an ability to make logical legal arguments and determine the appropriate style of communication depending on the audience and objective
How to apply
For a great opportunity to contribute to the legal profession, please submit your CV and a cover letter outlining your experience and addressing the key selection criteria for the role. Please note that applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
For more information about the role, including obtaining a copy of the position description, please contact the People and Culture team via email email@example.com or call on 07 3842 5919
Closing date: COB Friday 19 April 2019