|Job Type:||Full Time|
IBM Research – Software Engineer Melbourne
From landing the first astronauts on the moon to building the first cognitive system to win the Jeopardy! competition, IBM has been the spark of the computing revolutions that have shaped our world today.
At the core of IBM’s innovation are its 12 global research labs. IBM Research - Australia is a vibrant and relatively young community within IBM Research. The lab is primarily an industry solutions lab that focuses on conceiving, designing and building next generation systems that will transform healthcare and life sciences, resource management, emergency management and financial services.
The Software Engineer is a technical professional that participates in design, test, development, and/or support of IBM Research projects and works with IBM product groups. The Software Engineer (SWE) provides technical input for the creation or modification of project components. Decisions affect success of the project or significant portions of larger projects and have impact on financial performance, image, schedules and customer satisfaction. The SWE is the first level with significant independent decision responsibility and accountability, and may have leadership responsibilities.
- Works closely with researchers to conceive, design, build, test and deploy software proof of concept solutions
- Contributes or leads project planning activities within the function
- Understands, efficiently executes and recommends new approaches to existing software development processes and procedures
- Responsible for accurate and thorough documentation of software components
- Proposes innovative solutions to problems, leading to patents, publications or products
- Learns new tools and technologies rapidly as required
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Strong knowledge and competence in Algorithms, Data structure, Design Patterns and Distributed systems
- Experience administering Unix/Linux systems
- Experience in at least two of the following:
- Full-stack web development (web front-end, back-end, NoSQL databases etc.)
- Mobile Application Development (Android, iOS - Swift)
- Big Data Analytics platforms (Spark, Hadoop etc.)
- PhD or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Background in AI, Machine Learning and/or Natural Language Processing
- Experience working within Agile teams and a DevOps culture
- Experience working with NoSQL Databases (CouchDb, Cloudant, MongoDB)
Experience delivering Software proof of concept solutions
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- As Above
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- As Above
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.