|Job Type:||Full Time|
Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented Alcoans have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate.
About the opportunity
An exciting opportunity exists for a Laboratory Manager to join the leadership team at Alcoa’s Kwinana and Wagerup Refineries. The Laboratory Manager is a leadership position responsible for the effective functioning of the refinery’s Laboratory.
Main duties include:
- Contribution in improving analytical services and cross-site (WAO and Global) standardisation of methods
- Conducts Laboratory and Refinery based investigative and improvement projects with Technical, CoE and Operational personnel.
- Provides chemical expertise and support to the Bayer Refining process.
- Active leadership in promoting safety both in the laboratory but also within the plant as part of the management team.
- Providing management of the Laboratory and WAO mining Laboratory (Kwinana only) including people management, cost budgeting, strategic planning and compliance.
- Ensures the department adhere to compliance and legislation obligations including ISO9001 requirement, commercial documents such as Certificates of Analysis (for WAO SGA and NMA products), as well as the essential analysis to enable day to day operation of the lab.
- Ensures that Laboratory methods and practices are consistent with the Alcoa’s Laboratory Core Operating Standard and promotes the laboratory community of best practice to encourage excellence across all Alcoa labs.
- Responsible to support the multiyear mine planning process for all three WAO sites with a strong focus on accuracy of analysis.
- Sponsors and facilitates integration of lab processes in sustaining the accuracy of an increasing number of specialized field analytical instrumentation.
- Ensure the knowledge and skills of laboratory staff (especially chemists and technicians) are used to support problem solving within the laboratory but also within the refinery and mining group
For the right candidate, flexible work arrangements would be considered for this role. Please let us know when you apply if this is something you are seeking.
As a nationally recognised employer of choice for gender equity and advocate for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex inclusion, Alcoa encourages applications from women, people of diverse backgrounds and those with different skills and life experiences.
Our values – act with integrity, operate with excellence, care for people – are at the foundation of everything we do. To be successful in this role you will have a specific skill set both with respect to managing a department and also ensuring that appropriate quality processes are used to provide the certification of analysis completed in the laboratory. The ideal candidate will have the ability to drive initiative in continuous improvement with laboratory processes and exceeding customer satisfaction. It is essential that you have tertiary qualifications in a science or an applied science field (preferably chemistry) and previous experience working within an industrial laboratory environment.
About where you will work
Kwinana Alumina Refinery is located 40 kilometres south of Perth in the Kwinana Industrial Area. It is a major employer in the area with approximately 870 employees. An estimated 48 per cent of employees live in the neighbouring communities of Kwinana, Cockburn and Rockingham.
Wagerup Alumina Refinery is located on the border of Western Australia’s Peel and South West regions, 130 kilometres south of Perth, four kilometres north of Yarloop and 13 kilometres south of Waroona. Wagerup refinery employs approximately 620 people and of those, around 30 per cent live in the local shires of Waroona and Harvey.
Please advise in your application if you have a preference in location.
Wednesday 27th March 2019.
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date.
- Find out more about working for Alcoa of Australia at www.alcoa.com.au/opportunities
About Alcoa in Australia?
- Alcoa employs approximately 4,300 people in Western Australia (WA) and Victoria; most of our employees live regionally and our head office is in the Perth suburb of Booragoon.
- Alcoa has been named an employer of choice for 16 consecutive years by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA), and Alcoa of Australia’s Chairman and Managing Director Michael Parker is a WGEA Pay Equity Ambassador.
- Alcoa is an active and supportive partner in the community. The company sponsors ideas and opportunities important to local people such as addressing mental health, inspiring youth, promoting environmental education and highlighting health and safety.
- Alcoa has been contributing economically and socially in Western Australia and Victoria for more than 50 years. More than 65 per cent of Alcoa of Australia’s total annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.