Job No: CURTIN41
Fixed term, full-time until March 2021
$98,744 - $105,304 (G08) + superannuation
Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) are all vital to our way of life, our health, and our economy, and Curtin University is extremely proud of its excellent record in research and education in these disciplines. It has a long standing commitment to STEM outreach, providing inspirational, engaging, innovative and award-winning STEM programs and activities that connect research and education, and profile the value and benefit of STEM to the wider community. We cultivate presenters that are advocates for STEM, community liaisons for university accessibility, and leaders in science and engineering communication. In addition to developing communication skills, presenters are offered experiences that focus on leadership, industry linkages and global citizenship.
Help us share the message that everyone needs STEM – these disciplines and ways of working are fun, valuable and essential for a secure future.
Curtin University is ranked in the top 200 universities worldwide (ARWU 2017), and in the top 50 in the world for universities under the age of 50 (QS World University Rankings 2017). In recent years, Curtin has climbed significantly in global league tables and in the 2016 Nature Index results, Curtin was named as a rising star, the most collaborative of the Australian universities, and the biggest Australian mover. Curtin is industry-facing, highly engaged with relevant partners, and a major global player, with well-integrated campuses in Singapore, Malaysia, and Dubai.
Your new role
A unique opportunity awaits for a STEM Outreach Manager to provide leadership for the STEM outreach program under the direction of the Director Student Engagement. Key elements of the position are setting the strategic direction of STEM outreach, coordination (of outreach staff, students and programs), development (of new and innovative activities), and partnership building (with schools, students, scientists, organisations and users of STEM).
- Manage and oversee Curtin’s STEM outreach programs and facilitate collaboration in outreach and promotional activities.
- Provide direction, leadership and guidance to the various staff members that report to this position.
- Collaborate (as appropriate) with other outreach, marketing and recruitment and PR staff at Faculty and University level.
- Oversee development and delivery of new outreach programs.
- Seek external funding where possible for outreach programs/events/activities/resources that encourage participation in STEM at all levels, and particularly at Curtin.
- In collaboration with Director, Student Engagement and relevant Heads of Schools, monitor and report on effectiveness of Faculty outreach programs and activities.
- Oversee the production of resources (including articles, stories, fact sheets and brochures) to communicate our STEM activities to our target audiences – school students and their parents, teachers, careers advisors, current Curtin students and the general community.
You will bring to this role
- A tertiary qualification in education and/or STEM related discipline, with subsequent extensive relevant experience or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Proven ability to liaise and collaborate with schools and other relevant institutions and industry bodies.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills and ability to present complex STEM concepts to different audiences.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading and managing a team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of school operational contexts and the WA and Australian Curriculum.
What we offer you
The salary ranges presented are those which are contained within the University's Enterprise Agreements; as are the employee benefits which include employer superannuation contribution at the rate of the current Government Superannuation Guarantee amount up to 17 percent, study assistance, a comprehensive salary packaging and wellness programs and flexible and family friendly work practices.
What we need from you
You are encouraged to respond specifically to the selection criteria.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
Valuing diversity and affirmative action
Curtin University embraces diversity and inclusion and invites applications from women, men and intersex individuals who share the University's values, ethics, international outlook, value diversity and have an informed respect for indigenous people. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive workplace, therefore, if you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application. We will then work with you to identify the best way to assist you through the recruitment process. All personal information will be kept confidential in compliance with relevant privacy legislation.
Curtin University has a bold vision to be one of the leading institutions in the Asia-Pacific region. Curtin is now entering an exciting phase as it focuses on further building its research capacity, and improving its already strong reputation for innovation in learning and teaching.
Explore some more STEM Outreach
To apply complete the application form below. Applications close: 5 pm, Monday 30 April 2018
For more information contact
Dr Reva Ramiah, Director, Student Engagement
Curtin reserves the right at its sole discretion to withdraw from the recruitment process, not to make an appointment, or to appoint by invitation, at any time.