At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.
About our Operation
New South Wales Energy Coal consists of the Mt Arthur Coal open cut energy coal mine in the Hunter Valley region of New South Wales, Australia. The site produces coal for domestic and international customers in the energy sector.
About the Role
Reporting to the Superintendent Statutory Mechanical Engineer, this role will provide engineering support and solutions for the broader site at Mt Arthur Coal. Interfacing with a diverse group of stakeholders and departments, you will be able to demonstrate your problem solving and influencing skills to identify right-fix solutions and support the ongoing integrity of the site.
The role is residential to Muswellbrook and surrounds, where the mine is located.
Ideally you will have a good understanding of the due considerations and requirements of working in close proximity to a local community.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Governance of the site asset integrity management system and processes
- Reviewing inspection reports and providing advice on remediation works
- Assisting in the planning and implementation of inspection programs
- Providing condition reports and updates to equipment owners
- Producing structural integrity and management of change performance metrics for the site
- Providing asset integrity engineering support for classified plant, including cranes, pressure equipment, piping and vessels
- Ability to advise on repair, remediation and mitigation of damage mechanisms
- Liaising with production and engineering groups on asset integrity issues
- Overseeing adherence to the site Management of Change procedure and systems
- Ensuring Safety, Constructability, Operability and Maintainability is preserved throughout the asset lifecycle process
- Contributing to the development of the site five year capital and operational budgets
As a member of the Mt Arthur Coal Engineering team, the following attributes will be key to your success:
- You will preferably hold tertiary qualifications in Mechanical Engineering, that are accredited or recognised by Engineers Australia for Stage 1 competency assessment. Persons holding tertiary qualifications in Structural Engineering are also encouraged to apply.
- You will have experience working in mining, minerals processing, or another heavy industrial environment.
- Engineering registration and/or Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) status is desirable.
- While not mandatory for the role, holding a NSW Mining & Petroleum Certificate of Competence as a Mechanical Engineer is desirable.
- Well-developed communication and engagement skills with an interest in providing technical leadership, stewardship, support and solutions.
- High levels of self-motivation, personal initiative and professionalism will be highly regarded.
- A solid understanding of Asset Integrity principles and systems with previous experience in aligned industries including mining, oil & gas, chemical, minerals processing or heavy industry.
- Experience managing classified and registered plant including pressure vessels, piping and cranes.
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical input to design and project execution, with an overarching drive for safety leadership.
How to Apply
Please apply online before 16 May 2021
You will be requested to complete a video interview as part of your application.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.