South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminum, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Cannington is one of the world's largest and lowest-cost producers of silver and lead. Located in northwest Queensland, Cannington boasts an underground mine and processing facility situated approximately 800 kilometers west of Townsville and a concentrate handling facility at the Port of Townsville.
About the role
This role is a 12 month fixed term contract.
Reporting to the Senior Geologist, the Mine Geologists role is to provide geological information and interpretation for underground production planning, including tracking ore grades.
- Diamond Drill hole design and assisting with contractor management
- Core logging and assay QA/QC
- Geological Stope Assessments
- Underground Mapping
- ROM Management
- Geological interpretation and block model validation
- Collaboration with other departments including Mine Design, Geotechnical Engineering, Survey, Processing and Mining Operations
- Assist site Exploration team when required
Cannington mine provides resort style onsite accommodation with laundry and meal services, as well as sporting and gym facilities and is FIFO from Townsville or Brisbane.
The ideal candidate will need to have the following:
- Underground hard rock experience
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy skills (particularly Datamine, Deswik, Leapfrog and Microsoft Office Applications)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geology or similar
- Minimum 2-5 years relevant industry experience
- Competitive salaries
- 8/6 Roster from Brisbane or Townsville
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Please note the closing date of this advert is the 18th Of May 2021.