|Job Type:||Full Time|
Geotechnical Engineer – Core Logger
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Enjoy an exceptional work life balance with an 8/6 roster and a new camp
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
Our Technical Services department is looking for Geotechnical Engineers who will be part of our Geotechnical Data Acquisition Team, responsible for collecting, analysing and communicating high quality geotechnical input parameters for use in geotechnical models.
Technical Services is a department within Planning Integration and Assets, and to be successful you will need to work closely with many internal and external stakeholders (including Resource Development and Operations).
We are currently seeking an experienced Geotechnical Engineer for an 8:6 roster FIFO within the Pilbara. This position will be Pilbara based with some Perth based work throughout the year and at the end of the drilling program (end of the year).
Reporting to the Superintendent Geotechnical, you will:
- Provide safety leadership in promoting a safe and environmentally responsible working ethic, leading to an incident free workplace.
- Provide geotechnical core logging support to both studies and mine operations.
- Analyse, validate and interpret geotechnical datasets collected during field programs.
- Ensure accurate and timely geotechnical diamond core logging data collection, validation and televiewer picking utilising RTIO geotechnical and geology standards and systems.
- Assist with program planning and execution of drilling.
- Liaise with team members and stakeholders on drilling priorities.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining. We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
What you’ll bring
You will be tertiary qualified in Geotechnical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mining Engineering or Geology. Knowledge of Geotechnical Logging Methodology is essential along with being a strong team player. A Manual C Class Australian Driving Licence. Iron ore experience, Pilbara Geology or prior RTIO experience highly regarded.
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, we own an integrated portfolio of iron ore assets: a world-class, integrated network of 16 mines, four independent port terminals, a 1,700 kilometre rail network and related infrastructure – all designed to respond rapidly to changes in demand.
We are one of the world’s leading producers and exporters of iron ore.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Applications for this role will close on Monday 17th May, however, we do reserve the right to close the role earlier.