At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role:
This is a unique opportunity to lead, coach and utilise your skills and experience on all Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) matters directly supporting the execution of the Smelter Campaign Maintenance 2021 (SCM21) major shutdown within Olympic Dam Asset Projects. Reporting to the Superintendent HSE Business Partnership Projects and working closely with the Project Manager, the Principal HSE will ensure delivery against performance targets relevant to health, safety, emergency response, security and environment. Our Shutdown, Our Legacy.
The HSE Principal will be an integral member of the Project Owners Team, collaborating with key stakeholders including EPCM contractor, and will support the Project in proactive HSE strategy and tactics, supported by the HSE Business Partner Function. The role will focus on ensuring a proactive HSE culture and prevention through planning in accordance with the Minerals Australia Project Management Framework and Olympic Dam Integrated Management System.
The role will be Adelaide based working a 5/2 roster, transitioning to a site based role with FIFO options available during shutdown execution. The role is will be a 12 month secondment (or external fixed term) opportunity within the OD HSE Projects team
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Be responsible for the delivery of mandated HSE support and service for the SCM21 project, directly supporting the Project and EPCM.
- Partner with EPCM and Project Teams to support the identification of relevant HSE risks through quality and effective risk management process
- Provide HSE input to the establishment of HSE standards, procedures and systems
- Manage HSE systems and processes related to the Project, undertaking verification activities to ensure best practice compliance, risk mitigation and continuous improvement
- Support line management in building an understanding of, and compliance with, relevant BHP standards and systems and legal requirements
- Coach Field Leadership activities, offer support and technical guidance to build a proactive HSE leadership culture
- Coach line management on the quality and effectiveness of HSE risk management processes and event investigations
- Interface with key stakeholders to ensure effective relationships and service delivery
- Manage, control, monitor and participate in the execution of work that is the accountability of the HSE Function
- Review and monitor contractor HSE performance and delivery to the project HSEC Management Plan
The suitable candidate will have the following skills and attributes:
- Degree qualified in Science, Engineering, Business or related HSEC discipline
- Preferably you will have experience operating in a projects, mining or shutdown operating environment (Minerals Processing/Industrial Construction/Oil and Gas)
- Demonstrated commitment to achieving proactive HSE outcomes
- Excellent stakeholder liaison and management skills
- A proven ability to implement strategic and tactical plans and lead teams
- Experience leading and facilitating event investigation techniques
- Ability to leading change initiatives under difficult circumstances
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Reference Number – 36581
- You may be requested to complete a video assessment as part of the initial recruitment process.
- We reserve the right to commence recruitment proceedings immediately.
- This opportunity is currently only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia.