At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role:
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Structural Engineer to join our Port Engineering team, which support our Port operations.
Reporting to the Superintendent Engineering Governance & Technical Stewardship (GTS), you will provide guidance and technical expertise to a team of engineers with a large stakeholder group across the business with a particular focus on all aspects of fixed plant processing equipment. As a Senior GTS Engineer, you will support the team in identifying and realizing opportunities for improvements whilst building on existing capability.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Providing technical expertise to a broad range of stakeholders including Project, Production and Maintenance teams in both planned and breakdown environments
- Providing support to the ongoing asset integrity program at the operation through remediation plan development and identification of improvement initiatives
- Managing and governing structural standards
- Monitoring and ensuring compliance to all regulatory requirements and internal policies, procedures and standards with respect to fixed plant structures
- Identifying opportunities for technical improvements and the use of new technology to support the delivery of capital projects
- Controlling and maintaining the blueprint (e.g. standards, specifications, procedures and drawings)
- Reviewing and approving structural engineering requests to support our Management of Change process
- Providing technical advice to safety incident and root cause analysis investigations
- Assisting with the development of budget and capital planning
- Reviewing consultant structural engineering work against the appropriate standards and auditing technical changes on site for compliance.
- Coaching and mentoring junior, graduates and interns structural engineers.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and attributes:
- A current Australian Drivers Licence.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and influence a range of stakeholders across the business.
- Degree in Structural Engineering or equivalent
- Previous experience reviewing and signing off drawings
- Previous extensive experience within a Mining environment, preferably working with structures supporting conveyors, crushers and buildings.
BHP Support flexible working and as such rosters are flexible!
You will be based at Port Hedland on a fly-in fly-out 5:2 4:3 roster from Perth. Port Hedland is home to our port and rail operations and is the largest regional centre in North West Australia. The outstanding facilities at the FIFO villages include; a fully equipped gym, TV lounge and games rooms. Additionally you will have access to the state of the art aquatic and sporting facilities in the town of Port Hedland. All rooms at the villages have their own en-suite bathroom, television, refrigerator and air-conditioning.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
The safety of BHP’s people and our candidates is our number one priority. Due to the unfolding circumstances of COVID-19 and the Government regulations in place to deal with the pandemic, your working location and/or roster as advertised in this advert may be temporarily subject to change whilst the government regulations are in place. This is to ensure the health safety of our workforce, and to implement effective social distancing measures. These changes if applicable will be discussed at screening and interview stage.
Reference Number – 34147
- We reserve the right to commence recruitment proceedings immediately.
- This opportunity is currently only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia.