|Job Type:||Full Time|
At BIGW, a job is never just a job.
It’s the start of something bigger. There are over 15,000 of us, in the biggest cities and the tiniest towns. And each of us have an important role to play. If you have a passion for great customer service, a desire to make a real difference for families and you’re looking for a place to develop, you could be who we’re looking for. If you have a passion for designing and delivering great customer and team experiences, a desire to join a business that is rapidly evolving into a purpose led digital retailer enabled by a great store network, and you’re looking for a place that cares about your development and growth, you could be who we’re looking for.
- Join a highly energetic and innovative team
- Be part of the key function of the business transformation journey
- Enjoy a workplace flexibility culture
BIG W Digital-ness
The BIG W Digital Team is made up of an innovative and forward-thinking bunch representing one of Australia’s biggest retailers. We are an engine room for BIG W’s digital transformation journey, and love disrupting our our eco-system and the market.
We welcome challenges and co-create solutions to deliver consistently good customer experiences.
We come from diverse backgrounds, but share a common purpose to make a real difference for families.
This role is fundamental in fulfilling Big W’s FY21-24 strategic ambition, to become a purpose-led digital retailer enabled by a great store network. This year, our Team has made a pivotal impact on the web by upgrading our technology to enable a five-star digital experience for our customers. With rapidly growing online sales, we are building plans to accelerate the evolution of our Digital business, which will involve the transformation of our core eCommerce and Order Management platform into a set of modern, resilient and high performing services.
As the Last Mile Technical Lead, you will lead an engineering squad responsible for this high profile initiative. You have a very customer centric approach, always striving to understand and factor into your decisions what the most important underlying business and technical requirements are. You make pragmatic decisions and effectively communicate the tradeoffs involved in these.You are a technologist at heart, have a growth mindset and always push yourself and the Team to learn more, to refine the way we work and pursue excellence. You have an engineering mindset - you embrace challenges with a very solution focused approach, you can brainstorm solutions and advocate for an approach by communicating effectively.
Responsibilities would include:
- Lead your Team in building the next generation in eCommerce platforms, migrating BigW’s core platform from a single, monolithic system to make use of more modern, flexible and capable technologies.
- Deliver across the entire stack’s life cycle – concept, design, build, deploy, test, release to customers and support.
- Design and develop robust and scalable solutions within the Last Mile tribe, leading the delivery of cutting edge solutions around a variety of concerns including Order Management, Sourcing, Picking, Packing, Delivery, Returns, Supply Chain, Inventory, Warehousing, Customer Feedback and more.
- Collaborate with other Technical Leads, Engineering Managers and Solution Architects to help them create and maintain a robust architectural framework to support the technical ecosystem.
- Bring best-in-class engineering practices, lead by example to get the team to spend the time to build well throughout incremental iterations.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Product & Engineering team to understand problems and come up with innovative solutions which will form the basis of our new modern architecture.
You are a very strong collaborator and always bring your best self. It’s never about you, it’s always about the Team. You know how to put the Team’s results first and understand the importance of Team Dynamics in the pursuit of the overall Team’s success.
In this role, you are looking to apply your skills within an elite team of collaborative engineers that trust, respect, and highly value each other. Your team shoots for excellence and has great fun working together in that journey.
Some other experiences would include
- Minimum 8 or more years professional experience with server-side / micro web service development using Java, node.js and/or .NET.
- Experience in large-scale enterprise development projects that require building multiple web services and delivering outstanding performance for the end-user.
- A dedication and a keen interest in building Clean Architecture systems which process high volumes of data and communicate via Event Driven technologies.
- Very strong experience with Docker, Kubernetes and other containerization technology.
- A strong understanding of best CI/CD and GitOps practices, and exposure to a variety of tools such as Jenkins, Azure DevOps, ArgoCD, Rancher Fleet, etc.
- Very strong experience in writing clean testable code and capability with BDD, TDD patterns & frameworks, and the drive to ensure that coverage in all areas is always as high as possible.
- A sense of tenacious curiosity driving a determination to uncover and understand every performance issue or security vulnerability that exists.
- Exceptional communication & presentation skills, able to diagrammatically explain complex concepts to any audience.
- A strong desire to both learn and teach, placing the highest value on the growth and distribution of knowledge amongst the Team.
- Extremely proficient problem solving skills, with a solution-focused approach mixed with a solid sense of pragmatism.
- Agile software delivery experience
If you meet a number of the requirements, but not all, we encourage you to submit your application.
What's in it for you?
- An attractive remuneration package including base & super
- Opportunity to join an innovative and engaging team that is forging ahead with an industry leading technology transformation, and strong support from across the business
- Tech options - Woolworths is the largest employer of Google Apps in Australia, are early adopters of Agile and have BYOD options too
- An exciting career - as our business grows, so do the opportunities for our people
- Flexibility and work-life balance policies that will help you thrive
- Modern office locations in both Surry Hills and Norwest
Joining the Group
As part of the wider Woolworths Group, we care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or life stage and we are proud to be recognised as a Gold Tier Employer in the Australian Workplace Equality Index for LGBTQ+ inclusion.
As our Group continues to evolve, innovate and support our communities, we encourage our team members to do the same with their own careers, by providing ongoing opportunities to grow and make a real difference.
If you meet a number of the requirements, but not all, we encourage you to submit your application. You can learn more about working with us on LinkedIn or via https://www.linkedin.com/company/big-w/?viewAsMember=true. #LI #work180
Our Talent Acquisition Team and Hiring Leaders kindly request no unsolicited resumes or approaches from Recruitment Agencies. BIG W is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.