|Job Type:||Full Time|
Principal Data Scientist
We are looking for someone with a love of ML and AI product delivery to lead a growing team of Data-Scientists in the Brisbane Hub of "PACE Analytics", our internal ML and AI team.
- Support your team in building a strong product mindset, focusing on creating solutions that matter for users that genuinely care about the outcomes.
- Mentor a team of skilled Data Scientists and Graduates, and a broader community of "Citizen Data Scientists" across the enterprise.
- Help shape our practices in Data Science experimentation, reproducibility, observability, and assurance.
About the role
We're seeking a Principal Data Scientist to lead the team in our Brisbane hub, with a focus on Product Management across a range of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence opportunities.
Data is one of our most important assets: from mine to market, behind each of our operations and projects are technological innovations and data science that are driving new industry standards in mining and metals.
With a clear focus on values, performance and strong leadership, you get to grow with an organisation that recognises your work and rewards you accordingly.
Reporting to the Principal Advisor - Data Science, and working in collaboration with a range of product groups and disciplines within Rio Tinto, you will have the opportunity to:
- Leverage your creativity, discovering new opportunities for Data Science product development in complex, data-rich environments.
- Support your team in shaping Data Science products, from initial vision and technique selection through to assurance and reproducibility strategies.
- Mentor and grow our Data Scientists, fostering a culture of collaboration, knowledge sharing, and product driven thinking in our team.
- Evolve and socialise our Data Science, Product Quality Management, Assurance, and Knowledge Management processes within the organisation.
- Focus on Safety, Ethics, Cybersecurity, and IP, in the context of both Data Science and the broader Rio Tinto.
Your network in this role consists of Data Engineering, Product Delivery and Cloud Engineering teams within PACE Analytics, and a broader community of end users, subject-matter experts, technical peers, and citizen data scientists in a range of skills and disciplines within Rio Tinto.
What You'll Bring
- A history of shaping and leading product-delivery teams, with a focus on Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence solutions.
- An ability to identify new opportunities for the application of advanced analytics across a range of industrial and enterprise solution spaces.
- Qualifications in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or related fields.
Other skills and attributes considered for the role:
- Proven data exploration, analysis, and modelling skills in languages such as R, Python, Java and Scala.
- Experience with common data-science libraries, experimentation platforms, and frameworks (g.Sci-kit, PyTorch, TensorFlow, Pandas, Amazon SageMaker, AzureML, Tidyverse).
- Exposure to software engineering practices and development lifecycles in the field of AI and ML.
- Ability to leverage cloud platforms and remote compute environments (g., AWS or Azure) (desirable).
- Experience in parallel and time-series processing architectures (e.g., timescale, presto, timestream) (desirable).
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
Where you will be working
The PACE Analytics team is focused on improving performance through smarter ways of working by driving an innovative and “disruptive” technology culture. By partnering with Rio Tinto product groups and functions, our team is developing innovative ideas to solve problems and enable better decisions through data analytics.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.