|Location:||Remote - AU/NZ only|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Site Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Manager, you will be responsible for supporting the development and implementation of EHS management processes at one of Microsoft’s Datacenter campuses. You will have a key role in ensuring the safe delivery of core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. Empower Billions!
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider. Be at the forefront of the action in CO+I as part of our Environmental Health and Safety Organization!
As the EHS Manager, the work you do will drive the prevention of serious incidents through the implementation of high-risk-activity management processes, emergency response planning, and safety protocols in datacenter operations. You will work to ensure that a safe and healthy working environment is achieved by identifying risks and unsafe practices, identifying and leading improvement initiatives, and monitoring performance and compliance.
We are looking for a Site Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager, who will be responsible for supporting implementation of EHS management processes at one of Microsoft’s Datacenter campuses, which is part of one of the industry’s largest and most globally distributed Datacenter portfolios.
The Site EHS Manager must be an experienced technical professional in the safety and environment management field, with a history of success in implementing processes at a large mission critical multiple building Sites. This role will include the prevention of serious incidents through high risk activity management processes, emergency response planning, safety in datacenter operations, and supplier safety. This role will be responsible for monitoring risks, trending of leading/lagging metrics and develops reports and metrics that will be used to drive accountability and action.
The global span and complexity of our activities requires knowledge and technical capabilities in EHS. Some examples of specific processes that this role will be responsible for implementing and monitoring include:
- Electrical Safety (Energized Electrical Work, Arc Flash, NPFA 70E, etc.)
- Environmental compliance and air permitting activity
- Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout)
- Occupational Noise Exposure & Control
- Heat Stress & Illness Prevention
- Exposure Assessment (Industrial Hygiene)
- Emergency Response Planning
- Working at Heights
- Confined Space Entry
- Heavy Material Handling
- Powered Industrial Trucks (Forklifts)
- Construction-Related Risks (Cranes/Rigging, Trenching/Shoring, Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWPs), etc.)
- Fire/Life Safety
- Mobile Elevated Work Platforms
- Hazardous Substances Handling
- Waste Management
- Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC)
- Risk Assessment and Mitigation methodology
- Supplier Management
As a successful EHS Manager, you will have the opportunity to positively influence the Operations Team supporting Microsoft’s key services within Microsoft Datacenters. You will be responsible for providing EHS Program implementation services and leadership, by:
- Serving as the primary contact for the implementation of the EHS programs for specific Microsoft Datacenters.
- Being accountable for EHS performance metrics and implementation of annual improvement plans.
- Periodically inspecting, auditing, and reviewing safe work practices to ensure compliance with regulations and company policies.
- Conduct workplace risk/exposure assessments for various classes of hazards.
- Supporting incident investigations and root cause analysis, so that corrective and preventive actions can be identified, communicated globally, and implemented.
- Conducting/delivering regulatory training programs to meet EHS requirements.
- Monitor, interpret and communicate summaries of standards and regulatory requirements to assure compliance and proactive management of risk.
- Analyses safety metrics and communicates results to leadership to drive action and accountability.
- Work with leaders, staff, and contractors at all levels to implement effective solutions.
- Drive a standardized and harmonized approach across the Campus to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Present topical information/metrics on a regular basis to site leadership teams.
Basic Skills and Experience:
- A University/Bachelor's degree in Environmental, Health and Safety or a related in science/engineering discipline.
- A minimum of 7+ years of progressive experience in EHS is required, with demonstrated knowledge and experience controlling the broad spectrum of risks across multiple sites.
- Must have current working knowledge of regulatory and other non-regulatory environment, health, and safety standards applicable in Australia. Knowledge of U.S Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations and standards is advantageous.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- The successful candidate will have a strong record of accomplishment preventing injuries, developing/implementing robust processes and management systems, and in building productive collaborative relationships with internal/external business partners.
- Experience managing Environmental, Health and Safety in large-scale mission critical infrastructure preferred.
- The successful candidate will be a strong communicator & influencer who is credible, self-assured, and highly capable of negotiating successful outcomes with key business leaders.
- She/he will have strong technical skills and the ability to explain complex issues and requirements in an easily understood manner.
- She/he will apply previous learning and ideas to new situations, projects, and teams, developing creative solutions to manage risk.
- She/he will demonstrate strong business acumen that includes experience working with leaders at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent demonstrated project management skills are required, including the ability to lead teams, produce and maintain timelines, create dashboards and track metrics, and assemble project information into clearly written reports that document findings, actions and progress.
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- This position requires Australian Citizenship to meet government security requirements.
- NV1/2, PV Clearance Assessment: This position may require an enhanced background check conducted through the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.