At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.
Within the Rail Execution department, the Track Renewals team is responsible for executing large-scale capital and operation expenditure track works including Re Rail, Track Renewal/Reconstruction, turnout and cross over renewal, rail stress management and rail civil works.
Within the Execution team, the safety specialist is responsible for ensuring the practices and procedures used by the track renewals team is in accordance with BHPs, and the wider rail industry, procedures and policies. The role of the safety specialist is to assess the track renewals teams’ compliance with best practice procedures and process, identify gaps and develop solutions to be implemented. This involves coaching of the various field supervisors to ensure successful and sustainable implement of improvements. The overall focus of this role is to ensure the execution practices used by the track renewals team provide the best controls to prevent events and injuries on our worksites.
- Develop and sustain a strong and collaborative, safety based culture in the track renewals team.
- Coaching Track Renewals team members with a goal of sustainable and consistent application of safety procedures and practices
The role is based in Port Hedland on a 5/2/4/3 roster or FIFO (from Perth). Relocation assistance will be offered to the successful candidate if required.
Skills and Other Qualifications
- Current full West Australian “C” class motor vehicle license or current equivalent Australian State motor vehicle license.
- Certificate IV in HSE (highly desirable or be able to complete)
- Certificate IV in Rail Safety Management (desirable or able to complete)
- Good communication, interpersonal and people skills with a range of audiences
- Computer literacy with Microsoft suite, 1SAP and planning systems
- Previous experience with health and safety applications and systems
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Administration and prioritisation including time management capability;
- Ability to build positive and sustaining relationships;
- Sound judgement including balancing competing issues;
- Ability to identify at risk behaviours / work methods and assist with development and implementation of alternative methods to reduce exposure
- Risk management and root cause analysis
- Risk management in execution works (experience with work site safety)
- Experience managing health and safety practices for execution teams/environments
- Sound knowledge of Railroad Operating Rules and industry standards
- Experience with facilitating / developing / contributing to risk assessments in an execution environment
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.