|Job Type:||Full Time|
- Permanent full-time role
- Based in Bell Bay, Tasmania
- Personal ongoing training and career development
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Diesel Fitter to maintain the site’s fleet through planned maintenance, breakdown and repairs work within the Mobile Equipment workshop.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible.
Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
This role is a great opportunity for someone who has a strong work ethic, commitment to learning and a ‘can do’ attitude.
Reporting to the Crew Leader and working a Monday to Friday roster, you will be:
- Maintaining and repairing aluminium smelting mobile equipment;
- Maintaining and repairing heavy mobile equipment such as rigid tippers, excavators, dozers, loaders, forklifts, vacuum loaders and unloading grabs;
- Maintaining and repairing small mobile equipment such as light vehicle, forklifts and elevated work platforms;
- Developing and implementing improvements within safe work procedures, as well as day to day activities;
- Risk assessing and controlling hazards for each task.
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- A Diesel Fitter qualification
- A current C class drivers licence
- The ability to communicate effectively within a team environment
- The ability to be flexible within the role and adapt to a changing environment
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking, and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Bell Bay Aluminium holds a unique place in Tasmanian and Australian history as the first aluminium smelter in the southern hemisphere when it began production in 1955. Today, it produces around 190,000 of primary aluminium each year.
The smelter is situated on the Tamar River, approximately five kilometres from George Town and 45 kilometres from Launceston. We employ more than 500 Tasmanians and more than 60 full-time equivalent contractors who, on a typical day, undertake work at the smelter.
For more than 65 years Bell Bay Aluminium has played a significant role in the social and economic wellbeing of George Town and Northern Tasmania through employment, community investment, and using local goods and services. In 2019, the site also received Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) certifications, assuring customers the aluminium they purchase has been produced to the highest environmental, social and governance standards.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.