Australia’s Academic and Research Network (AARNet) was established in 1989 and is widely regarded as the founder of the Internet in Australia and renowned as the architect, builder and operator of world-class network infrastructure for research and education.
We are Australia’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). We connect over one million users—researchers, faculty, staff and students—at institutions across Australia, supporting education and research across a diverse range disciplines including high energy physics, climate science, genomics, radio astronomy and the arts.
Nationally, AARNet interconnects Australian universities, the CSIRO, and other organisations who have a research and education mission, or with whom the education and research sector interacts. These include hospitals, vocational training providers, schools and museums. Internationally, AARNet interconnects the Australian Research and Education (R & E) community to the world – and continuously develops new capabilities and partnerships to facilitate seamless data access and transfer.
AARNet also offers a suite of supporting applications to our customers. These include network and collaboration services, such as CloudStor and Zoom, that enable innovation in the delivery of research and education.
We are an organisation of innovators, doers, and courageous thinkers. We are not constrained by traditional products and solutions and we constantly strive to build the solutions that our customers will need tomorrow – today. If you have the imagination, foresight and drive to build the future why not come and join us?
AARNet is seeking a business analyst to contribute to collaborative projects AARNet is undertaking for the Australian academic research sector. The projects are geared around the provision of new research data-centric cloud services and Platforms. Leveraging the success of AARNet’s research data collaboration solution named CloudStor, AARNet is building and supporting these new services to deliver highly secure, large and scalable data storage and cloud compute platforms to support the data needs of the Australian research and education sector.
This role is an excellent opportunity for a person wanting to bring their skills to a major national network and research infrastructure provider. The successful candidate will be a member of the eResearch team and will collaborate on projects focused on delivering secure research cloud services and customer facing platforms integrated with community data generating equipment.
This will be a three year maximum term agreement.
- Work with key stakeholders to elicit specific technical requirements of the two projects
- Produce documentation in accordance with prevailing standards and methodologies
- Build and maintain relationships with geographically dispersed internal staff, collaborators across a number of external organisations, and with the Australian research community
- Map processes and data flows and document business requirements, use cases and functional specifications for assigned project(s)
- Identify issues, risks and benefits of existing and proposed solutions and outlining business impacts
- Liaise with technical staff to ensure requirements are interpreted appropriately in solution design and map the business requirements to system
- Review of test plans to ensure compliance with requirements and assist in testing of developed solutions
- Where appropriate, contribute to the scientific and IT community via papers, presentations and posters;
- Where appropriate, represent AARNet at conventions, conferences, seminars and official occasions as required
Expertise, experience & qualifications
- Ability to consult and liaise at many levels within organisations, and the research and education sector
- Proven experience eliciting requirements for technical projects
- Demonstrable analytical capability – particularly in relation to business and technology processes
- Highly proficient technical and policy writing capabilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Agile project experience
- Be self-motivated, enthusiastic and able to fulfil project objectives with minimal guidance;
- Team player, willing to work with the team to achieve the stated goals and able to provide support and guidance to team members where required;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated effective problem solving skills with the ability to perform research and effectively engage with others to develop solutions for difficult problems.
- Ability to understand and apply a structured approach to activities
- Knowledge of the tertiary education and academic research sector; and
- Demonstrable understanding of secure research data management principles and processes.
Conditions of employment
AARNet is committed to diversity and providing equal opportunity to all. We’re a great place to work if you want to make a difference. Remuneration will be based on skills and experience and will include an above market superannuation package.