|Job Type:||Full Time|
Nearmap is unique. A global technology company with incredible people; a market-leader with energy and spirit. Nearmap was named as one of the world’s 10 Most Innovative Companies of 2020 by Fast Company magazine – and we’re growing.
Nearmap's software engineers bring fresh ideas from all areas, including GIS, imagery processing, 3D modelling, large scale system architecture, API design and cloud infrastructure; the list goes on and is growing every day.
As a Software Engineering Manager in our API Team, you will work on projects critical to our needs, with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to tackle new problems across our growing range of products as we continue to push technology forward.
You will be responsible for leading a group of Software Engineers within a project setting to deliver features and bug fixes within a defined architecture framework. To this end you will work closely with the project Analyst, Front-end developers, QA, DevOps and other Technology teams to help prioritise tasks, define solutions and complete project deliverables on time.
You will also maintain a reporting relationship with a small group of Software Engineers. In this function, you will act as career coach, facilitate their career progression, and manage performance when necessary. At Nearmap we care that each Software Engineer is happy and fulfilled in their role, and you will help keep them that way.
Application development & solution design:
- Design, implement and deploy highly-scalable and performance oriented services.
- Create and maintain APIs in line with industry best practices.
- Drive adoption of best practices in code health, testing, and maintainability.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software.
- Manage infrastructure required by services.
- Support services in production and be available to respond to incidents in a timely manner.
- Manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
Provide technical leadership and ensure architecture, solution design & technology choices meet the company’s needs:
- Be responsible for the architectural approach of your projects, and communicate changes to other teams.
- Provide feedback on architectural approaches of other projects, ensuring the soundness of the overall architecture.
- Advocate for solutions that are scalable, maintainable and fit for purpose.
- Ensure the team follows best practices (coding standards, test coverage, etc).
- Help develop Nearmap’s Engineering Guidelines and Principles, and ensure awareness within the team.
- Work closely with wider Engineering team and contribute to improvement initiatives.
- Champion & assist with implementation of continuous integration and delivery frameworks.
Manage a small group of high performing Software Engineers:
- People manager for team of Software Engineers.
- Hold reports accountable with clear, measurable goals.
- Drive high performance in the team through managing, coaching and providing quality feedback.
- Identify need for training and professional development for each report.
- Foster great working relationships, with full transparency, mutual respect, collaboration and communication.
Compliance with Nearmap values, policies and standards, and ensure compliance with all local statutory requirements:
- Complies with responsibilities of working for a public company.
- Complies with all local legislative requirements.
- Adheres to company guidelines and the corporate Code of Conduct.
- Where appropriate keeps up to date with legislative requirements.
- Acts in an ethical way when dealing with company assets and other people.
- Designing and building complex API and back end products, preferably in a cloud-based environment for at least 5 years
- Maintaining test coverage for code you write at the unit and functional levels
- Experience with software build tools and continuous integration tools
- Experience with leading technical direction of a project
- Go, C++ (or similar programming language), SQL, Kubernetes, Cloud environments (such as AWS)
- Knowledge of continuous integration, test automation and cloud infrastructure
- A passion for continuous improvement, agile methodologies and lean software development
Some of our benefits
Nearmap takes a holistic approach to our employees’ emotional, physical and financial wellness. Our current benefits include access to the Nearmap employee share scheme, short and long-term financial incentives, flexible working options, paid volunteer days, gym membership, phone rebates, and lots of development opportunities including hack-a-thons and pitch-fests.
Working at Nearmap
We move fast and work smart; often wearing multiple hats. We adapted to remote working with ease and are continually looking at ways to improve. We’re proud of our inclusive, supportive culture, and maintain a safe environment where everyone feels a sense of belonging and can be themselves.
If you can see yourself working at Nearmap and feel you have the right level of experience, we invite you to get in touch.
Watch our culture video and find out more about what a day in the life at Nearmap looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rikZqa8n8%20
Nearmap does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruitment agencies and search firms. Please do not email or send unsolicited resumes to any Nearmap employee, location or address. Nearmap is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.