|Job Type:||Full Time|
Google Australia Pty LTD.
Opening Date: 24th March 2021
Closing Date: 26th April 2021
Due to the current health crisis related to COVID-19 and the escalating visa/travel restrictions in place, we're currently unable to extend offers to anyone who cannot work from Australia due to lockdown visa/travel restrictions, or other restrictive measures until further notice. Consequently, we will be prioritizing candidates who can start in this location by set date as expected. We're keeping the situation under review and would adjust our position should the restrictive measures be removed later on.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of technical leadership and people management experience.
- Experience working with one or more of the following: C, C++, Java, Go and/or Python.
- Technical experience.
- Experience in recruiting and managing a team of experienced Engineers on large scale projects.
- Experience in problem solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems.
- Proficiency in algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design and/or expertise in Unix/Linux systems, IP networking, performance and application issues.
- Capable of technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and storage, yet verbally and cognitively agile enough to hold your own in a strategy discussion with Google's executive team.
- Effective management and communication skills.
About the job
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Google's services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SRE’s will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
On the SRE team, you’ll have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale which are unique to Google, while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design.
SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
To learn more: check out our books on Site Reliability Engineering, watch a recorded Hangout on Air to meet some of our SREs, or read a career profile about why a Software Engineer chose to join SRE.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Manage Google's largest single storage repository, Used by internal users (Apps, Gmail, YouTube, Photos), and our largest external Cloud customers.
- Drive engineering for a world-scale storage system.
- Help grow our external cloud product every year and launch products and projects for internal and external customers.
- Work with a Software Engineering team to improve reliability and performance while optimizing for cost and efficiency.
- Manage on-call rotations across continents, using a follow-the-sun model.