|Job Type:||Full Time|
Downer Defence Systems provides a broad range of professional and managed services, asset sustainment and estate upkeep services to the Australian Defence Force, the New Zealand Defence Force and other government agencies.
Downer Defence Systems, combining the footprint and capability of Downer and Spotless, is one of the only integrated services companies that has a whole of Defence Capability Life Cycle offering and mindset. Our Sovereign Industry Capability delivers to the needs of Defence, National Security organisations, the major Primes and other government agencies. As an ADM Top 10 Defence Contractor, we are a proven and trusted long-term partner, committed to diversity and inclusiveness and to growing Australia’s Defence industry with the participation of Small to Medium Enterprises.
This role is within the CASG environment working with CAF16, within JC2SPO. The Systems Engineer will work within the CAF16 Engineering team and in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, to elicit; document; validate; manage and maintain user requirements for in-service software baselines and deliver upgraded and new software products from the contractor Systems. The Systems engineer will perform tasks across the entire capability lifecycle, from requirements analysis, through to V&V, and in service support. The Systems engineer role is to manage the process of documenting the user requirements in a way that can be contracted and delivered within the assigned resources and timeframes, in compliance with applicable legislative constraints, and within acceptable business risk, taking a whole of life view.
- Providing, reviewing and commenting on the Engineering Contract Data Requirements List and Capability documentation, providing recommendations to the Product Manager.
- Engage with stakeholders with the planning, developing, integrating, managing and evaluation of JCSE systems including close collaboration with the OEM.
- Attending Engineering meetings with the OEM and Suppliers to discuss changes, defects, deviations etc and work pragmatically to resolve engineering issues to achieve required capability outcomes.
- Ensure maintained mission and support systems comply with contract provisions and appropriate policies and regulations including the Technical Regulation of ADF Materiel Manual
- Prepare, review, and amend Engineering Change Proposals (ECPs) as per Capability Acquisition Sustainment Group (CASG) Configuration Management (CM) practices.
- Provide appropriate administrative support to the Product Manager.
- Draft project-related engineering documents, briefs or presentations for higher line management.
- Act as an integral member of the broader CAF16 engineering team, working within and complying with the Authorised Engineering organisation.
Essential Qualification/Experience/Work Environment:
- Understanding of modern networking, computers and operating systems; high level skills with corporate tools such as SP, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and similar applications.
- Demonstrated practical experience in requirements development for Defence, or related projects through needs analysis, requirement definition and capability concept documents development. Experience in the Joint; Land, Maritime Force environment would be highly regarded.
- Preferred formal tertiary or technical qualifications in engineering in a systems discipline if possible. Must be a MIEAust and CPENG accreditation would be highly regarded.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of the following - the wider systems engineering discipline, technical regulation, and development of specifications and statements of work, design review, system integration, configuration management and risk analysis.
- Ability to work as part of a technical team and successfully liaise with users, system program offices, CASG E&T and external contractors as necessary to achieve set tasks and milestones.
Desirable Qualification/ Skills/ Experience:
- Experience in use of and knowledge of Air C2 systems and applications (or equivalent Army/Navy systems).
- Effectively communicate with technical and non-technical personnel at all organization levels including suppliers and customers.
- Experience in a Chief Engineer or Lead Engineer role responsible for ensuring system and product integration across multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated leadership for driving issue resolution and mitigating technical risk.
- Experience in working agile model based system engineering environment.
- An experienced Systems Engineer who has CASG and CLC experience.
- Understanding & practical experience working within a Defence project, quality assurance & business improvement process practices and targeted & effective business solutions and outcomes.
- Experience in building trusted & valued relationships with project team members, customers & partners.
What we offer:
- A diverse and challenging work environment.
- A growing business where opportunities are great.
- A great team where you are empowered to lead.
- Referral bonuses.
- Access to monthly Professional Development Sessions (including specialist forums).
Candidates must be Australian citizens with a minimum NV1 security clearance. Applicants residing outside of Australia or non-citizens will not be considered.