|Job Type:||Full Time|
- A great opportunity to work in a supportive and goal orientated team
- Enjoy flexibility and interesting work within our strong team culture
- Location Adelaide, Melbourne or Canberra
The largest surface shipbuilding endeavour in the nation's history is now underway in Australia.
Apply your talent where it counts as a Linux Systems Administrator in our BAE Systems Maritime Australia team in the Osborne Naval Shipyard, SA.
Despite COVID-19, we have a strong pipeline of job opportunities and we are still hiring. We're continuing to provide the Australian Defence Force with what they need to help protect the nation. Many of our people are now safely working from home. Of course some roles can't be done from home and in those cases, we're operating with an increased focus on health and safety on-site. We're finding new ways of working in response to COVID-19 and our workforce is still delivering the best capability for Australia.
About the Opportunity
As the Linux Systems Administrator you will be responsible for assisting in the installation and configuration, operation, and maintenance of computing, messaging systems and infrastructure in project and support teams.
You will work as part of a cross discipline agile team to ensure the computing infrastructure platforms, associated storage systems meet the current performance, reliability and security requirements. These services include Linux and Windows Server Management, Exchange, Active Directory, VMware, Citrix, Backups, Database Hosting, and File Systems.
You will contribute to the design, delivery and operation of a key application hosting environment in support of the Hunter Class Frigate Program.
The systems, critical in nature, will require support beyond the normal working hours and hence flexibility in working hours is a consideration for this position. Availability for out of hours support and inclusion on the roster for out of hours business support (on-call) will be required.
In terms of specific responsibilities, you will:
- Provide system administration of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Oracle Enterprise Linux and Windows Server Computing platforms, associated database and storage systems which includes design, delivery, governance and operation
- Propose and recommend solutions for customer requirements, particularly as they apply to the server and messaging, storage and computing environments
- Proactively support and monitor the environment, diligently completing health and governance checks to maintain system health and integrity
- Proactively seek opportunities for continuous improvement and automation
- Complete upgrades and patches of operating systems by conferring with vendors and services
- Develop, test, evaluate, and install enhancements and new systems
- Undertake incident and service request resolution for the services within the portfolio in line with service level expectations
- Communicate with vendors to resolve technical issues
As an ideal applicant for this opportunity, you'll have:
- Significant experience in an IT Administrator role
- Demonstrated experience in an IT customer service or technical role
- The ability to manage and support the relevant computing systems
- Knowledge of VMware or other virtualisation technologies
- Demonstrated ability in the systems administration of an enterprise application and database hosting environment with both RHEL and Windows virtual hosts
- Exposure, capability or ideally experience in managing virtual servers in support of Oracle databases, running on Oracle Enterprise Linux
- The ability to work in an agile environment and open to taking on tasks outside of your direct role to assist colleagues achieve positive outcomes for the business
- Exposure and experience in configuration management, scripting and automation of systems such as Python and PowerShell
- Knowledge or experience in the operation of RHEL Satellite, including the use of Puppet or Ansible
- Experience in the deployment, testing, and support of a complex client/server application environment
- The ability to provide guidance on systems to colleagues, internal stakeholders and customers
- Confident oral and written communication skills and the ability to build effective relationships with business representatives, customers and suppliers
- The ability to demonstrate systems analysis skills, critical thinking and problem solving
- The willingness and capacity to expand knowledge in infrastructure Computer Platform hardware and software solutions
- The ability to work independently and be self-driven with a results orientated approach
- A growth mindset and an eye for continuous improvement
Whilst not essential, a diploma or degree in information technology or engineering and ITIL Foundation Certification or Vendor certification will be an advantage.
BAE Systems Maritime Australia (formerly known as ASC Shipbuilding), has been contracted to deliver nine of the world's most advanced anti-submarine warfare frigates to the Royal Australian Navy. The Hunter Class Frigate Program will create and sustain more than 5,000 jobs across BAE Systems and the wider Australian defence supply chain over the life of the program.
At BAE Systems Maritime Australia we live a safety-first and inclusive culture. We ensure that the voices and talents of all employees are valued and that everyone has a sense of belonging. Join us.
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain a baseline defence security clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html
Applications should be addressed to: Polly Buerano, Talent Acquisition and made online here.
Whilst applications must be made online, confidential enquiries are very welcome via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and Veterans for these opportunities. An inclusive culture and an exciting, supportive career opportunity awaits. We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://tinyurl.com/Work180BAE-Systems-Australia
To learn about other employment opportunities at BAE Systems, please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au
BAE Systems Australia will never request money from you during the recruitment process. Please be aware of scam messages asking for money for an administration fee, visa or similar. If you receive such a message please report it to Scam Watch www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam.
Job applications should only be submitted via the BAE Systems Australia website and not via email. If you receive an email from BAE Systems that does not utilise “@baesystems.com” as the domain, it is not legitimate. BAE Systems does not use gmail, aol, Hotmail or similar accounts.