|Job Type:||Full Time|
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Expression of Interest
Register your Interest in preparation for the next recruit firefighter campaign
Readiness & Response Services
As an emergency service agency, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is responsible for ensuring the safety of people and property across Queensland through the provision of effective prevention, preparation, response and recovery activities across a range of emergency situations.
Comprising the Fire and Rescue Service, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, QFES also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
The functions of the QFES are unique. It is the only entity in Australia that delivers high quality fire, rescue, emergency and disaster management services through a single agency. This collaborative approach across the service and with key stakeholders delivers improved safety outcomes for the community.
Purpose of the Role
- Protect and serve the community by responding to fires and other emergencies in a professional and timely manner to minimise loss to life, property and the environment.
- Improve the safety and emergency preparedness of the community by contributing to fire prevention and community education activities
Entry levels for the role are:
- Recruit Firefighter
An application, assessment and selection process exists for both entry levels. For more information on the application processes go to www.qfes.qld.gov.au/employment
Before an applicant can be appointed as a Firefighter, they must provide evidence of or successfully complete the following:
- Manual Medium Rigid (MRV) driver’s licence as recognised by the Department of Transport and Main Roads;
- Current Apply First Aid Certificate;
- Current Advanced Resuscitation Certificate;
- Compliance with QFES medical and fitness standards;
- Criminal History Check; and
- Clinical Psychometric Assessment.
Your key accountabilities
- As part of a fire crew, respond to fire, road crash rescue/entrapments, technical rescues, hazardous material and other emergency incidents.
- Operate emergency response vehicles and equipment in a safe and effective manner, including driving a fire appliance and other emergency response vehicles as required, under varying circumstances and conditions.
- Provide first aid and resuscitation where required.
- Maintain QFES equipment, resources and facilities to ensure a constant state of operational readiness.
- Undertake a range of functions requiring the practical application of acquired skills and knowledge.
- Undertake operational duties that are within the five roles of the Operations’ Management function as described in the QFES Functional Management business model, being:
- Research and Information;
- Risk Reduction;
- Response; and
Community Safety Operations
- Promote community awareness in fire prevention by supporting and participating in community education programs and activities.
- Promote community safety by assisting with the inspection of property, buildings and emergency response equipment and assisting with the development of evacuation plans and emergency response procedures.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately within the workplace, with other emergency service personnel and with members of the community.
- Develop and maintain competencies as required by QFES and pursue opportunities for self-development through participating in relevant training programs.
- Participate in relevant tactical, operational and technical functions and effectively acquire suitable skills, and maintain those skills through professional development programs.
Operations Business Management
- Undertake administrative duties and contribute to the maintenance of manual and computerised station records.
- Contribute to a safe and healthy work environment by adhering to organisational health policies and principles.
- Contribute to all station activities and promote a productive work environment through a positive team approach to all tasks.
- Undertake all duties with the highest level of personal integrity and professionalism as required in the Code of Conduct for the Queensland Public Service and other Codes of Practice.
- Comply with legislative, policy and procedural requirements appropriate to the position and perform duties in line with corporate governance practices.
- Comply with responsibilities of WHS legislation.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following leadership and management behavioural competencies Queensland Public Service Workforce Capability Success Profile that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Workforce Capability Success Profile Category – Individual contributor
Performance through Vision
- Understands how their work aligns to organisational objectives
- Acts proactively
- Responds flexibly to change
- Focuses on customers
- Seeks continuous improvement
Performance through Results
- Focuses on performance
- Manage internal and external relationships
- Supports others’ capability development
- Gives constructive feedback
Performance through Accountability
- Models professional and ethical behaviour
- Displays rigour in analysis
- Applies specialist knowledge and skills
- Commits to personal development
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact email@example.com should you have any queries.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
Further information on the Recruit Firefighter Recruitment process can be obtained here.