|Job Type:||Contract/Temp, Full Time|
BUSINESS UNIT: Office of the Chief Technology Officer
REPORTS TO: Head of Software Development
POSITION TYPE: Maximum Term 6month Contract full-time
Australia’s Academic and Research Network (AARNet) was established in 1989 and is widely regarded as the founder of the Internet in Australia and renowned as the architect, builder and operator of world-class network infrastructure for research and education.
We are Australia’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). We connect over one million users, researchers, faculty, staff and students—at institutions across Australia, supporting education and research across a diverse range disciplines including high energy physics, climate science, genomics, radio astronomy and the arts.
Nationally, AARNet interconnects Australian universities, the CSIRO, and other organizations who have a research and education mission, or with whom the education and research sector interacts. These include hospitals, vocational training providers, schools and museums. Internationally, AARNet interconnects the Australian Research and Education (R & E) community to the world – and continuously develops new capabilities and partnerships to facilitate seamless data access and transfer.
AARNet also offers a suite of supporting applications to our customers. These include network and collaboration services such as CloudStor and Zoom, that enable innovation in the delivery of research and education.
We are an organization of innovators, doers, and courageous thinkers. We are not constrained by traditional products and solutions and we constantly strive to build the solutions that our customers will need tomorrow – today. If you have the imagination, foresight and drive to build the future why not come and join us?
The Software Developer is responsible for end-to-end delivery of high quality software solutions from project conception through to production. The role, working as a team player in DevOps Agile team, is responsible for application architecture, writing clean well tested code, delivery and orchestration of the full application stack in cloud container orchestration platforms.
AARNet’s Customer Experience program is taking a holistic view of our customer interactions and addressing the pain points created through legacy siloed business processes and system design. AARNet delivers network solutions to support the innovative needs of Australia’s research and education community.
This program is streamlining how AARNet manages it customer processes and data with the result that we have significant work required to refactor many of our internal and customer facing apps so that are decoupled from legacy platforms and interface to our strategic BSS/OSS systems.
- Design, develop, test and deploy high quality full stack applications that fulfil customer requirements.
- Active involvement in projects from conception to finished product.
- Deliver end to end integrated application solutions to fulfill business requirements.
- Deploy applications and changes into test and production environments as part of a DevOps team.
- Configure integration between systems using best practice integration patterns for given scenarios.
- Tailor and customize systems to meet business requirements while being mindful of technical debt and pushing back on non-standard requirements where appropriate.
- Contribute to enterprise and data architecture plans and support refinement of enterprise roadmaps.
- Work with business stakeholders to understand and refine requirements.
- Assess and evaluate various potential applications and solutions for fit against both business and operational requirements.
- Propose best technology solution after weighing up pros and cons of cloud based services, commercial off the shelf, open source and bespoke solutions.
- Maximize the value derived from each system by ensuring AARNet takes full advantage of the provided system capabilities.
TEAM WORK & RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Actively participate in Agile team ceremonies.
- Active project involvement from conception to finished product.
- Share knowledge and assist team members with skills development.
- Actively collaborate with a geographically dispersed team and internal and external stakeholders to contribute to project outcomes.
- Oversee work of consultants and vendor SMEs when required.
Expertise, experience & qualifications
- Solid experience in professional software development.
- Solid experience with web backends and APIs based on Ruby on Rails
- Experience with container platforms such as docker, Rancher and Kubernetes.
- Experience in taking on responsibility for changes on existing production platforms.
- Exposure to Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery frameworks.
- Tertiary Qualifications in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Experience integrating custom applications via RESTful APIs to modern SaaS based platforms such as Salesforce is highly desirable.
- Understanding of core IP network technologies and network OSI layers is highly desirable.
- Highly collaborative.
- Takes initiative to find solutions and owns the resolution of issues.
- Demonstrated ability and history of learning and adopting new applications and systems at speed. AARNet’s feature team model of DevOps delivery means team members get exposure to a wide range of systems that span business units.
- Able to thrive in small start-up like organizations that provide lots of autonomy and not tightly defined structured processes.
- Big picture thinker who identifies future opportunities.
- History of leading and driving continual improvement in technology and business processes.
Conditions of employment
AARNet is committed to diversity and providing equal opportunity to all. We’re a great place to work if you want to make a difference.