At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities.Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role
As the Dam Engineer Specialist, you will be providing technical governance and oversight on the operation, maintenance, and surveillance of the water storage, tailings facility, and levee structures on a BMA operational site.
You will provide operational support to enable the safe management of dam and levee structures. As an industry leader, be a part of the direct application of internal BHP and external industry standards in relation to dam management.
Please note this position is based at one of our Bowen Basin operational sites, with a range of flexible travel arrangements on offer and flexible work options available
Why become a responsible dam engineer?
- Direct interaction with site leadership & general manager, influencing from the ground up from operational personnel, to leadership team members (advising on dam safety matters);
- Lead the establishment, embedment and governance of the Dam Engineering, Operation, Maintenance & Surveillance activities for tailings, water, & levee facilities;
- Govern work from planning & field investigations on tailings & water structures through to desktop, design, execution & handover;
- Undertake In field dam integrity inspections and instrumentation monitoring, & experience the validation of technical desktop work, a role where you can see the outcome of your work in the field;
- Coordinate & govern dam safety inspections, reviews, & resulting recommendations;
- Opportunity to undertake risk management activities, control ownership, critical control verifications, & control effectiveness tests for managing our water & tailings facilities;
- Working with industry recognised Engineer of Record teams & tailings consultants
- Life work balance rosters & flexible work;
- Interact with a team of dam engineers across the Bowen Basin (and centralised Principal technical support) with diverse disciplinary backgrounds; and
- Opportunity to work across the portfolio of storage facilities throughout the Bowen Basin & interact with tailings professionals across BHP.
- Bachelor degree in Geotechnical, Civil, Mining, or Environmental Engineering, or other tertiary qualifications relating to earth sciences such as Hydrology, Geological engineering, Environmental Science
- Ability to problem solve & take action;
- Strong stakeholder communication\interpersonal skills & the ability to adapt to target audience;
- Understanding of the foundations or risk management;
- Understanding of relevant coal mining legislation (desirable);
- Ability to continuously learn & develop in the dam management field; and
- Able to work in field & undertake field work in conjunction with technical understanding.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.