South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
This position will be based at our Groote Eylandt operation and will be offered on an 18 month fixed term contract. This role is being offered as either residential with relocation assistance or FIFO from Cairns or Darwin
About the role
Reporting to the Lead Corporate Affairs the purpose of this role is to execute and support Corporate Affairs activities at GEMCO to: Build trust and open dialogue with our communities where we operate including Alyangula and Indigenous communities. Support high levels of engagement between the site leadership team and employees. Ensure GEMCO’s social investment contribution and communications supports our social license to operate and is aligned to operational and community needs to create a sustainable transition to post mining.
Other accountabilities include:
- Execute GEMCO’s stakeholder engagement plans to ensure transparent and open engagement with key stakeholders, Traditional Owners and local communities where we operate
- Execute GEMCO’s Community Investment Program including reporting and compliance to South32 standards and policies
- Leverage social investment spend to support improved awareness of GEMCO’s contribution to the communities where we operate through development and execution of leverage plans for the Grants Program and signature partnerships
- Execute internal and external communications activities to support effective engagement with employees and local communities
- Support local community event execution and lead execution for the GEMCO Picnic Day and GEMCO Children’s Christmas Party
- Develop site internal communications plan to facilitate effective engagement with employees
- Proactively prepare and disseminate communications in the region to inform, connect and engage local stakeholders
- Proactively engage with local media on positive press items and support group-wide website, social media, intranet, newsletter and sustainability reporting requirements
- Lead community and sustainability reporting requirements to Corporate and GEMCO leadership team
- Operations: Manage engagement with local, state and federal government departments to support continued license to operate and manage reputational risks
- Communications: Input to South32-wide communication channels including website, social media platforms, intranet and annual report.
- Brand: Ensure compliance to South32 Brand strategy
- Sustainability: Reporting and compliance to Sustainability Public Positions around VPSHR, ICMM, SD Goals.
- Qualification in Communications, Public Relations or a related field
- 5-7 years’ experience in Corporate Affairs / Communications or related discipline
- Event management experience preferred
- Experience working in regional or remote Indigenous communities is preferred
- Experience working for a large multi-national organisation is preferred
- Accomplished and persuasive written and verbal communication skills including the ability to simplify complex, technical information into straightforward messaging suitable for a range of audiences
- Ability to manage and execute social investment from donations to signature partnerships is preferred
- Competitive salaries
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Applications will close on Tuesday the 9th March.