|Job Type:||Full Time|
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Garage is seeking an experienced Mid-level iX Designer to join a dynamic product team. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you’ll tackle complex, business challenges alongside other builders and thinkers from different backgrounds in AI, IoT and robotics, quantum and blockchain. A successful candidate will be an organized go-getter with solid experience developing key insights about diverse audiences and able to do segmentation by needs. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will undertake research with a range of end users to better understand their needs, and their relationship with the various factors that influence their environment. You are a quick learner, enthusiastic, detail-oriented and collaborative—ready to roll up your sleeves and join a team that’s helping to bring human-centred design to the world’s most vital industries.
- Join a high performing product squad and be responsible for the User across all stages of product development, ultimately ensuring there is 'no bias' in the User research and product design.
- Conduct research across the various forms including review of reports, previous experiments undertaken by various experts in the sector—to come to a point of view around what we know, where there may be bias and where we still have questions
- Leverage IBM Subject Matter Experts knowledge and thought leadership to appreciate domain expertise.
- Structure appropriate forms of User research based on the degree of unknowns and lead the product squad through fieldwork, analysis of findings and insight development
- Provide research results to product team
- At time, provide deliverables, reports, presentations, and/or videos to document and bring to life insights in an engaging and inspiring way
- Oversee the product design process to ensure the squad adheres to the research findings and help remove 'bias' in design.
- Work with cross-capability teams of UI and Service Designers, Product Engineers, Product Managers and SMEs to create and manage a product’s lifecycle
- Participate in the IBM Design ChapterThe successful candidate must have:
- Mid-level 3-5 years’ experience as a UX/UI designer, planning, conducting and communicating the findings from user research for digital products and services - ideally in a start-up environment or other comparable exposure
- Gathering and evaluating user requirements, in collaboration with product managers and engineers to deliver intuitive and human-centred solutions
- Ability to design and conduct user testing and concept validation i.e. identify potential solution options for a stated user need and design experiments that help elicit the most viable solution for users
- Experience planning and conducting both quantitative and qualitative user research at all stages of product development
- Ability to frame key questions, create research plans to address those, conduct research, and synthesize the findings into meaningful, actionable insights for clients to help them understand how to achieve their business goals and objectives
- Plan and implement new designs
- Illustrating and designing ideas using storyboards, process flows, service blueprints and sitemaps
- Create prototypes for new product ideas
- Designing graphic user interface elements, like menus, tabs and widgets.
- Combine creativity with an awareness of the design elements
- Optimize existing user interface designs
- Test for intuitive usefulness and experience
- Test new ideas before implementing
- Conduct ongoing user research
- Passionate about creating value through great design and user experience
- Solid knowledge of, and experience with Agile software development
- Ability to navigate multiple stakeholder groups and influence others
- Experience in managing communications with users and stakeholders
- UI design kits and design systems
- Mix of service design, customer experience design & user experience design
- Gather information from users through qualitative and quantitative methods, including interviews, contextual inquiries, diary studies, personas, card sorting, and usability testing to validate product-market fit
- Leverage an iterative, human-centred approach and solid UI design skills to conceive and deliver valuable new experiences for our clients and colleagues
- Contribute to all aspects of our process, from research and ideation to delivery with a focus on prototyping and creatively approaching constraints
Candidates must be able to present a Portfolio to demonstrate their ability
IBM welcomes, includes, values and respects everyone. We celebrate diversity in all forms. Our culture is rich and intentionally inclusive.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.