|Job Type:||Contract/Temp, Full Time|
Software engineer – cloud services
BUSINESS UNIT: Cloud Services
REPORTS TO: Gavin Kennedy, Manager AARNet Cloud Services
MANAGEMENT: Direct reports: 0
LOCATION/S: Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne
POSITION TYPE Contract Full Time
Australia’s Academic and Research Network (AARNet) was established in 1989 and is widely regarded as the founder of the Internet in Australia and renowned as the architect, builder and operator of world-class network infrastructure for research and education.
We are Australia’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). We connect over one million users—researchers, faculty, staff and students—at institutions across Australia, supporting education and research across a diverse range disciplines including high energy physics, climate science, genomics, radio astronomy and the arts.
Nationally, AARNet interconnects Australian universities, the CSIRO, and other organisations who have a research and education mission, or with whom the education and research sector interacts. These include hospitals, vocational training providers, schools and museums. Internationally, AARNet interconnects the Australian Research and Education (R & E) community to the world – and continuously develops new capabilities and partnerships to facilitate seamless data access and transfer.
AARNet also offers a suite of supporting applications to our customers. These include network and collaboration services, such as CloudStor and Zoom, that enable innovation in the delivery of research and education.
We are an organisation of innovators, doers, and courageous thinkers. We are not constrained by traditional products and solutions and we constantly strive to build the solutions that our customers will need tomorrow – today. If you have the imagination, foresight and drive to build the future why not come and join us?
AARNet is seeking a Software Engineer, a 12 month fixed-term position, to work with the AARNet Cloud Services team to develop and implement high quality sensitive data services. Leveraging the success of AARNet’s CloudStor research data collaboration solution, AARNet is building these services to deliver highly secure, large and scalable data storage and cloud compute platforms to support the sensitive data management needs of the Australian research and education sector.
- Work with the Cloud Services team to develop and deploy web-based user interfaces, workflows and software/hardware configuration for a variety of cloud infrastructure services including storage and compute services.
- Execute projects using an agile based methodology, report on progress against project tasks and milestones and assist in identifying project risks and issues.
- Design and implement secure service APIs and service protocols and endpoints.
- Assist the Cloud Services team to monitor and maintain operational integrity of services and assist service desk staff in resolving customer issues.
- Identify and contribute to opportunities for improving services.
- Actively collaborate with a geographically distributed team and stakeholders to contribute to project outcomes.
- Share knowledge and assist team members to increase their skills.
Expertise, experience & qualifications
- Tertiary qualifications in a computing related discipline or significant industry experience;
- Experience in server-side API design and development.
- Experience in developing for a Linux based environment, preferably with Linux admin and scripting skills.
- Experience in managing and sharing code and documents using Git version control services.
- Experience in authentication service integration and multi-factor authentication;
- Experience with server side development using Golang or PHP or Python;
- Database development and SQL (MariaDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL); and
- Experience with containerisation (Docker) and orchestration (Kubernetes).
- Be self-motivated and able to fulfil project objectives with minimal guidance and able to approach tasks methodically.
- Team player, willing to work with the team to achieve the stated goals and able to provide support and guidance to team members where required;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with the demonstrated ability to interact effectively with collaborators and stakeholders to achieve positive project outcomes.
- Demonstrated effective problem solving skills with the ability to perform research and liaise with others to develop solutions for difficult problems.
- Knowledge of the tertiary education and academic research sector.
- Demonstrable understanding of research data management principles and processes.
Conditions of employment
AARNet is committed to diversity and providing equal opportunity to all. We’re a great place to work if you want to make a difference. Remuneration will be based on skills and experience and will include an above market superannuation package.