Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Queensland Fire & Emergency Services
FR - STH WEST
Current QFES and IGEM employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As an emergency service agency, QFES is responsible for ensuring the safety of people and property across Queensland through the provision of effective prevention, preparation, response and recovery activities across a range of emergency situations.
Comprising the Fire and Rescue Service (FRS), the Rural Fire Service (RFS) and the State Emergency Service (SES), QFES also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
The functions of the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services are unique. It is the only entity in Australia that delivers high quality fire, rescue, emergency and disaster management services through a single agency. This collaborative approach across the service and with key stakeholders delivers improved safety outcomes for the community.
- Eligible to apply for, or hold a current Blue Card.
- Employers written consent to attend incidents and emergencies (where applicable).
- Live or work within a reasonable distance of auxiliary fire station.
- Australian Permanent Resident Status.
- Manual C Class driver’s licence.
The QFES expects that all auxiliary firefighters will commit to the following, throughout their employment:
- Attending incident and emergency calls –
- 50% of calls as a day worker with routine hours; or
- 30% of calls as a shift worker or have non-routine hours
- Attending 75% of regular drill and training sessions
- Obtaining an MRV licence, at their own expense, within 12 months of employment
- Participating in ongoing skills acquisition and maintenance programs, including first aid/emergency care.
- Complying with QFES policies and procedures including code of conduct, safety and personal presentation standards
- As a member of a team, respond to fire and other emergency incidents. Note: Auxiliary Firefighters who have not satisfactorily completed all pre-operational aspects of ARTEP (FFGC085) may attend all activities in relation to their designated station, EXCEPT emergency incidents.
- Promote community safety and emergency preparedness by contributing to community education activities.
- Develop and maintain competencies by actively participating in regular drills and other relevant training courses provided by the QFES to ensure safety and effectiveness on the fire ground.
- Maintain the required attendance standards for emergency incidents and training.
- Operate specialist firefighting and rescue equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Contribute to upkeep and hygiene of station facilities.
- Ensure maintenance and repair of operational equipment and station facilities.
- Contribute to incident reporting and general station administration as required.
- As an important part of the station team, appointees shall also:
- Promote a positive team approach in all work activities
- Comply with legislative, policy and procedural requirements appropriate to the position.
- Communicate effectively with QFES personnel, other emergency service providers and the general community.
- Contribute to a safe and healthy work environment by adhering to organisational health principles and procedures
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual Contributor (leading self)
- Leads strategically
- Stimulates ideas and innovation
- Leads change in complex environments
- Makes insightful decisions
- Develops and mobilises talent
- Builds enduring relationships
- Inspires others
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Pursues continuous growth
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any queries.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
Further information on the Auxiliary Firefighter Recruitment process can be obtained here.
How to Apply
Please refer to the QFES Entry Level Operational Application Guide for information on how to apply for this role.