|Job Type:||Full Time|
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Permanent Flexible full-time
Queensland Fire & Emergency Services
READ & RESP SRV
Various - Cairns/Townsville/Rockhampton/Toowoomba/Kedron/Lytton
11 March 2021 - Midnight
Current QFES and IGEM employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As an emergency service agency, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is responsible for ensuring the safety of people and property across Queensland through the provision of effective prevention, preparation, response and recovery activities across a range of emergency situations.
Comprising the Fire and Rescue Service, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, QFES also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
The functions of the QFES are unique. It is the only entity in Australia that delivers high quality fire, rescue, emergency and disaster management services through a single agency. This collaborative approach across the service and with key stakeholders delivers improved safety outcomes for the community.
Purpose of the role
Fire Communications Managers are responsible for:
- Leadership and management of regional Fire Communications Centre operations including staffing and deployment, financial and budget management and human resource management to ensure effective, efficient and timely mobilisation of resources to emergency incidents; and
- Contributing to regional and state-wide strategic and operational planning processes.
- Eligible to apply for, or hold a current Blue Card;
- Current holder of Certificate III in Public Safety (Emergency Communications Centre Operations);
- Ability to successfully complete training programs of the ‘Communications Training and Professional Development Program (CTPDP) at the prescribed level.
Highly desirable requirements
- Previous experience in emergency service related operational communications centre.
- Have or ability to obtain Apply First Aid and CPR certificates.
- Typing speed of 45wpm with 95% accuracy.
Your key accountabilities
- Participate in strategic and operational planning and decision making for the Region including enhancement of operational and administrative functions within the region.
- Oversee coordination of operations and ensure the effective delivery of services through the best utilisation of the human, financial and capital resources of the Communications Centre, including deployments, recruitment and selection, rostering, training, performance assessment and development of staff.
- Manage communications response to major incidents.
- Implement strategies and tactics to enhance operational service delivery in accordance with QFES Divisional Plan.
- Be an integral member of regional management team and promote a teamwork approach to operational service delivery.
- Contribute to statewide operational planning activities and the development training programs, policies and business enhancement initiatives to ensure consistency and effectiveness of Communications operations across QFES.
- Prepare correspondence, memorandums and briefings as required.
- Monitor and report on the operational performance and effectiveness of the Communications Centre.
- Facilitate organisational change initiatives including staff consultation to achieve vision, goals and direction of QFES.
- Manage communications within the workplace, intra and inter region, other emergency services, external agencies, the media and he community.
- Coordinate and liaise with relevant stakeholders to ensure effective maintenance and repair of communications equipment.
- Manage and review portfolio/project related activities of the Centre.
- Manage and participate in all aspects of shift operations of the Fire Communications Centre to facilitate effective despatch of resources.
- Represent and promote the Communications Centre and establish positive working relationships with other agencies, stakeholders and the community.
- Provide leadership and management support to all QFES staff to drive the pursuit of WH&S performance excellence, facilitating the growth of a WH&S culture.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Program Leader (leading teams and/or projects)
- Leads strategically
- Stimulates ideas and innovation
- Leads change in complex environments
- Makes insightful decisions
- Develops and mobilises talent
- Builds enduring relationships
- Inspires others
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Pursues continuous growth
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
This is a State-wide selection process. Applicants for a position at any location across Queensland should apply at this time. A merit list will be established from this recruitment process and may be accessed to fill future eligible vacancies. Successful applicants will be appointed to the advertised rank and allocated to specific role and work location in accordance with organisational needs.
Want more information?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any queries.
You can also visit our websiteto find out more about our organisation.
How to Apply
The QFES Fire Communications Manager Application Pack MUST be used in this process and submitted with your application in Nexus.
Please refer to the Fire Communications Manager Application Guide for information on how to apply for this role.