|Job Type:||Full Time|
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.About the role
BMA is seeking an experienced professionals to join the HSE teams at Goonyella Riverside Mine as a Principal Environment. The roles are site based and located in the central Queensland Bowen Basin, reporting to the Goonyella Riverside HSE Superintendent Business Partner.
In this role you will:
- Work in partnership with line leadership to employ effective controls to manage environmental risks;
- Ensure conformance with the BHP Billiton Charter, the BHP Billiton Group Level Documents, Code of Conduct and relevant statutory obligations;
- Support the business to effectively manage environment risks, legal and GLD compliance and to provide strategic advice to Leadership;
- Identify strategic environmental focus areas for the operation and engage proactively with line leadership on these matters;
- Assist to establish and deliver programs of work in partnership with the operation and the environment Analysis and Improvement function, to resolve legacy environmental issues;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with relevant regulators and key site and function Superintendents;
- Provide environment related technical execution support to line-management;
- Support the development of technical capabilities of your operational and greater Coal environment team;
- Execute activities that the Environment sub function is accountable for ( monitoring, implementation and view of plans; and verification and reporting), and build capability and capacity within the line functions by coaching, mentoring and the provision of technical environmental advice;
You will be self-disciplined and be able to work independently and collaboratively with diverse teams, as well as the ability to engage with all levels of the business, external stakeholder and regulators.
You will have proven ability to influence and coach line management at multiple organisational levels, with demonstrated capability in influencing senior management to obtain outcomes. You will have strong strategic thinking and problem solving skills with the ability to lead change in difficult circumstances with strong technical capability in at least one of the following areas – land management (soil, erosion control, rehabilitation, biodiversity); contaminated land and water, water (hydrology), compliance and legislation, or air (dust, airborne contaminants).
You will have a Tertiary Degree in Environment Science, Environmental Management, Ecology, Natural Resource Management or a related field. You will have 8+ years’ experience in a similar role in a large complex environment ideally within mining or heavy industry. You will require skills in budget and contract management, application of Environment legislation, and good computer based skills with knowledge in various MS programs and familiarity with HSE data management systems.
With Safety being an absolute focus, a proven commitment to look after your own wellbeing and the confidence to speak up when others put themselves in harm’s way is essential.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.