|Location:||Remote - AU/NZ only|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you have a passion for security research and take pride in protecting users from online threats? Enjoy growing and mentoring a team of talented security researchers? Feel energized by approaching problems from multiple angles -- wallowing in deep technical problems, empathizing with user needs and concerns, thinking through major business and strategic initiatives?
We are looking for a motivated Security Researcher leader to join Microsoft Defender Security Research Team and to manage a team of Security Researchers. Microsoft Defender Security Research team is a global team of security researchers, advanced threat hunters, and agile malware responders at the forefront of protecting the Microsoft ecosystem from emerging security threats. Our research powers protection in products like Microsoft Defender, Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection, Office 365, Azure, and more. We are an industry leading threat research lab that does in-depth threat research with threats and exploits to help keep our customers safe.
If you are passionate about having huge impact in the security industry and enjoy leading world class security researchers to solve some of most critical, complex and impactful security problems, we would love to talk to you!
- Lead security research team that conducts research which yield new insights, theories, analyses, data, algorithms, and prototypes that advance state-of-the-art of malware protection.
- Investigate, analyze, and learn from security researchers, attackers, and real incidents to develop durable detection solution/strategies across the kill-chain or product/OS enhancements.
- Work with other internal and external teams to forge new and improve existing partnerships that help mature the product.
- Provide exemplary leadership in an exceptionally challenging and rewarding environment and influence the organization.
- Collaborate with other researchers, coordinators, and developers to improve the protection capabilities of the products.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate
- Planning and Execution: Ability to think holistically and strategically. Proven ability to plan, organize, and manage complex technical products.
- Communication: Conceptualize complex ideas quickly and convey those thoughts to others in a clear, effective and motivating manner. Able to conduct insightful, multi-faceted conversations with senior leadership and decision makers.
- Collaboration: Experienced collaborator able to work effectively across broad teams and influence stakeholders of all levels and of all disciplines across Microsoft.
- Cultural Leadership: Proven ability to lead cultural initiatives, having positive impact on team morale and fostering an environment of inclusion.
- Microsoft Values: As a member of the defender leadership Team, candidates must be excellent representatives of the Microsoft cultural attributes and leadership principles.
- Judgement: Excellent product and technical judgment. Consistently demonstrating maturity and intellectual curiosity, helping the team pursue the best ideas.
- 10+ years of computer security industry experience utilizing reverse engineering and knowledge of security/threat landscape.
- 3+ years of people management experience, or relevant experience demonstrating readiness to step up into a people management role.
- Reverse Engineering skills: familiar with debuggers, disassemblers, network protocols, file formats, sandboxes, hardware/firmware internals, software communication mechanisms
- Good knowledge of kill-chain model, ATT&CK framework, and modern redteam techniques
- Strong knowledge of operating system internals, OS security mitigations & understanding of Security challenges in Windows, Linux, Mac, Android & iOS platforms
- Excellent cross group and interpersonal skills, with the ability to articulate the business need for security or detection improvements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.