South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Cannington is one of the world's largest and lowest-cost producers of silver and lead. Located in northwest Queensland, Cannington boasts an underground mine and processing facility situated approximately 800 kilometres west of Townsville and a concentrate handling facility at the Port of Townsville.
About the role
This role is a 12 months Fixed Term Contract.
Reporting to the Superintendent Metallurgy the purpose if this role is to improve process operations (throughput and recovery) by recording plant performance, identify root causes of issues, propose solutions and support the implementation of the changes.
- Daily and weekly Metallurgical accounting and reporting
- Weekly and Monthly reagents consumption Analysis and forecasting
- Develop daily plans to achieve the production plan. Work with operations staff (Operators and Supervisors) to ensure correct actions are achieving the desired outcomes (monitoring)
- Conduct weekly laboratory settling, flotation and leach tests.
- Conduct a weekly ROM inspection to ensure compliance with stockpiling and ore feed size requirements
- Perform Multi stream Analyser (MSA) calibrations and calibration sample collection
- Coordinate change management activities for production critical change requests.
- Conduct RCA’s to determine the root causes for production loss and major variances from the production plan.
- Working effectively and collaboratively with immediate colleagues and others in cross functional relationships, on tasks within the context of South32’s Cannington’s vision to be the safest, most efficient underground hard rock mining and processing operation.
- Metallurgical Simulation & testing
- Plant trials and Research and Development (R&D)
- Commitment to working safely with integration into every work practice an ownership of safety
- responsibility for self and for work colleagues and visitors.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Cannington’s Environmental Management System (EMS) and manage the potential environmental impacts of work activities in accordance with Cannington standards and procedures.
Cannington mine provides resort style onsite accommodation with laundry and meal services, as well as sporting and gym facilities and is FIFO from Townsville or Brisbane.
The ideal candidate will need to have the following:
- Tertiary qualifications in Metallurgy, Chemical Engineering or Mineral Processing
- Previous experience in a similar role within a mineral processing environment
- Excellent knowledge of laboratory processes and equipment
- Process control experience will be highly regarded
- Competitive salaries
- 8/6 Roster from Townsville
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Applications close on 25/01/2021