South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Cannington is one of the world's largest and lowest-cost producers of silver and lead. Located in northwest Queensland, Cannington boasts an underground mine and processing facility situated approximately 800 kilometres west of Townsville and a concentrate handling facility at the Port of Townsville.
About the role
Reporting to the Senior Operations Engineer, the purpose of this role is to work in the Scheduling, Design and Analysis & Improvement teams at Cannington underground mine.
Other responsibilities include:
- Generate Paste Fill and Drill and Blast designs to support the mining schedule
- Produce rolling 2 week schedule to shift detail, with due regard for interactions and with a focus on compiling schedules that minimise risk.
- Optimise the schedule to maximise cash flow, making trades offs as appropriate
- Produce site setup plans (headings, cable plans, rehab, production drilling sites, diamond drilling etc)
- Reconciliation (planned versus actual performance of mining)
- Optimisation of the plan to ensure that the monthly targets are attained taking into consideration weekly variability
- Schedule to achieve the monthly targets taking into consideration weekly variability and Safety and Health considerations.
- Accountable for improving the performance of the work cycle
- Accurately recording production data in daily, weekly and monthly reporting
- Optimisation analysis work on production performance and budget preparation
- Running weekly and monthly scheduling and alignment meetings that include operations personnel
- Working closely with underground Supervisors and Superintendents to achieve the plan and produce quality designs
Cannington mine provides resort style onsite accommodation with laundry and meal services, as well as sporting and gym facilities and is FIFO from Townsville or Brisbane.
The ideal candidate will need to have the following:
- Tertiary qualification in Mining Engineering or equivalent
- Previous experience working in an Underground Mining Operation is preferred
- Previous paste experience in an Underground Mining Operation highly regarded
- Attention to detail
- Analytical, disciplined and methodical in daily tasks
- Collaborative with communications across all levels of the organisation
- Competitive salaries
- 8/6 Roster from either Brisbane or Townsville
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.