At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.
About the role
This role is located in Queensland’s Bowen Basin at one of our BMC mine site operations, but depending on the role some work will be done centrally across the Asset. Generally you will be responsible for different elements of dam stewardship across multiple sites, in addition to other work to support the BMC Dam Engineering Team.
As part of the BMC Asset Engineering team you will be responsible for maintaining overall engineering stewardship of tailings and water retaining structures across multiple BMC operations. Responsibilities include oversight of operation, maintenance, and surveillance of the mining and water supply dams on a site and how they relate to site-wide water management, with technical input on planning, design, and construction. In this role you will:
- Lead the establishment, embedment and governance of the Dam Engineering, Operation, Maintenance and Surveillance activities for the BMC Asset.
- Set up and Govern Dam Engineering standards and specifications for the Asset and Operations.
- Advise on compliance with the dam operational design intent, applicable dam safety regulations, polices & guidelines.
- Maintain the operation, maintenance & surveillance (OMS) manuals, including emergency preparedness & response plans.
- Implement an effective dam safety surveillance program.
- Implement dam operation & inspection training programs.
- Maintain dam management records, & ensure appropriate information is available for training.
- Communicate effectively with external consulting engineers, advising of potential changes to the dams, surveillance and instrumentation, & work with them on modifications..
- Coordinate annual dam safety inspections, & any work done by external consulting engineers on site.
- Routinely communicate with the site management team on key dam safety matters.
- Engage with internal site and functional stakeholders, for example, during modifications to dams or levees including the central Projects Group, and other consultants, or contractors.
You will have a Bachelor degree in Geotechnical, Civil, Mining, Mechanical Engineering, or other tertiary qualifications relating to water management such as Hydrology, Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering. As well as experience in Tailings or water dam management, dam assessment, general water management, or hydrological assessment. An open Australian driving licence is required. Other attributes will include:
- A proven commitment to safety, reflected in consistently safe work practices;
- Previous mining experience is an asset but not essential;
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills & the ability to communicate effectively across multiple levels and disciplines.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.