|Job Type:||Full Time|
Specialist Mine Planning Engineers – Perth
- Be part of a global mining organisation at the forefront of technology and innovation
- Further develop your technical skills through exposure to feasibility studies
- Opportunity to learn and grow as a technical professional
- Permanent role based in Perth CBD
About the role
We’re looking for enthusiastic and high performing Specialist Mining Engineers to join our Mine Engineering team within Technical Services. Working within a highly experienced team, with the support of industry leading systems and processes, you will be responsible for providing mid to long term mine planning support to our Pilbara operations. You will provide pit and production schedule optimisation, mine design, approvals and resource development coordination as well as supporting ore reserve reporting.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining. We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
With a tertiary qualification in Engineering or equivalent, you will have demonstrated experience within an open pit mining environment (preferably iron ore). Your knowledge of medium to long term mine planning, pit optimisation, design concepts and closure related planning will set you up for success. You will have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts that underpin value in the mining industry, working knowledge of mining and business software (i.e. Vulcan, Minemax, Whittle) as well as the ability to engage and collaborate effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders. This role is perfect for someone who thrives on a challenge and is willing to be creative when solving technical problems.
It will also be beneficial if you have had previous involvement in mining studies (Conceptual, Order of Magnitude, Pre-feasibility and Feasibility).
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
As part of the Technical Services division, our Perth based Mine Engineering department is accountable for mine planning, geotechnical engineering, reserves data management, geospatial data support and explosives and dangerous goods. We support all the existing and planned operations in the Pilbara, currently consisting of 12 mine hubs.
Our mine planning team consists of three hubs; East, West and Central, utilising the following mine planning software; Whittle, Vulcan, Datamine, Deswik, Minemax and ATS.
This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.