South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Illawarra Metallurgical Coal (IMC) is a long term and leading coking coal supplier which operates two underground metallurgical coal mines, two preparation plants and a logistics chain.
About the role
The Contracts Specialist undertakes the establishment, implementation and administration of supply and contractual requirements for various assigned studies/projects across the major project’s portfolio. This role reports into the Lead Project Services with the primary purpose of providing contractual and commercial advice for selected major projects.
Other accountabilities include:
- Responsible for developing, interpreting, reviewing, negotiating and managing contracts on behalf of the Major Projects team on selected projects
- Prepare contract briefs and revisions summarising contractual requirements and budgets
- Oversee the preparation and revision of contracts that involve the purchase of goods and services
- Administer contracts in accordance with approved Contract Management Plans and procedures and update contract details to maintain the integrity of contract information
- Preparing contract documents for execution
- Proactively identify and manage contract risks to meet organisational obligations and achieve the planned outcomes of the contract
- Establish and maintain stakeholder and supplier relationships to identify and minimise risk and maximise the value from the contract
- Develop tools, registers and processes and training materials for best practice contract administration
- Interpret and explain contract requirements and terms and conditions to stakeholders to support compliance with statutory and policy requirements and inform decision-making
- Contribute to the development and implementation of contract management plans by sourcing documents and established contracts, as well as monitoring performance and addressing non-performance, to achieve the required contract outcomes
- Administer routine to complex contracts to ensure accuracy of pricing, scope variations and updates to terms and conditions. Monitor and report on milestones and outcomes
This position will be based at the South32 Wollongong Innovation Campus operations which are in the southern coalfields of New South Wales, near the coastal city of Wollongong and approximately 75 kilometres south and southwest of Sydney.
- Relevant Engineering Degree or tertiary qualifications in Business Management/Law
- 10+ years of experience in major project development and execution in mining in an engineering and contracts administration role
- Experience in the safe and successful development and delivery of very large brownfield projects >$50M as a senior project team member
- Detailed understanding of project development and execution practices associated with major capital projects
- Ability to influence and negotiate with diplomacy
- The ability to manage competing interests
- Ability to work effectively in cross functional groups and thrive in a team environment
- Competitive Salary and bonus structures
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.