|Job Type:||Full Time|
Metallurgical coal is an essential ingredient in blast-furnace steel manufacture, producing steel used for critical building and infrastructure around the world. In Australia, we operate two open cut and three underground metallurgical coal mines in Queensland’s Bowen Basin, every year producing millions of tonnes of the highest quality hard coking coal for this purpose.
The Geotechnical Superintendent assists the Technical Services Manager in driving the delivery of the mine’s performance targets and maximising the value of the resource. This is achieved through the effective leadership of the Geology/Geotech/Survey Teams to deliver best practise support services to the mine.
Our people are dynamic, passionate, solutions-focused and diverse. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with professionals in a dynamic environment. We offer a solidarity and supportive workplace, competitive remuneration and global career pathways.
This position is responsible for providing a professional level of geotechnical engineering advice to the business across a range of conditions and scenarios, and making robust technical contribution to the business in the fields of geological and survey services. This position will provide high level front line leadership exposure, in conjunction with this you will provide leadership and technical advice to sustain and improve the mining operation at our Capcoal Surface Operation in Middlemount.
As a key team senior member of the Technical Services Team, you will hold a continuous improvement mindset to ensure geotechnical activities are integrated, well planned, adequately resourced and implemented in a timely manner to the required standard.
Responsibilities included but not limited to:
- Act as the chief technical advisor on geological and mine planning issues to the Technical Services Manager, identifying and interpreting geological conditions in advance of planned mining activities and developing appropriate strata support designs and program to monitor and assess effectiveness to support safe and production mine operations.
- Leading your team in the collecting, analysing and evaluating geotechnical data.
- Undertaking geotechnical risk assessments, underground strata management and implementation of new projects.
- You will provide strategic advice to the Technical Services department on how to maximise the value of the operation, whilst advising management and operational staff on geotechnical issues.
- Oversee and coordinate the management and development of the survey team and associated services.
- Drive the mine design and scheduling processes through short, medium and long term planning, to support efficient and productive operations, including production reporting and reconciliations
- Support the Technical Services Manager in leading the implementation of AAMC systems and provide governance to ensure quality and compliance with defined technical standards
Relevant Experience / Skills & Knowledge:
- Superintendent level or equivalent leadership experience within mining operations (preferably Coal)
- Track record in driving continuous improvement
- Experience in development and control of team budget and expenditure
- Demonstrated experience leading a team of professionals to deliver against set targets
- Experience in driving best practices through your department and into the business; this includes the development and implementation of strategy in line with business goals.
- Ability to understand functionality of business systems and extract relevant data for business purposes
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline; Geotechnical, Mining Engineer, Geology or Civil.
- Current registrations as a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ)
- Qualified Geotechnical Engineer with demonstrated experience in Opencut Mining
- High level of strategic thinking, planning and problem solving skills
- Strong communication and leadership skills to communicate and lead the implementation of geotechnical activities.
As well as a very competitive salary package, this is a full-time, permanent role, working a Monday to Friday roster based at our Capcoal Surface Operation in Middlemount, with subsidised accommodation and flight options available. Alternatively, this role is also suitable for residential or DIDO commuting.
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are?
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies. As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
Inclusion and Diversity
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all employees. Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged to apply for all vacant positions.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
24 JANUARY 2021
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to closing date – applications may also close before this date.
Anglo American’s Metallurgical Coal Business does not accept applications from Recruitment Agencies.
Videos to Watch