|Job Type:||Full Time|
The AFL is Australia’s premier sporting organisation supporting constantly evolving national competitions which have experienced rapid growth over recent years. The AFL organisation is responsible for growing and developing Australian Football across Australia.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This role is primarily focussed on ensuring that all operations of the AFL and AFL’s State affiliates are conducted within the limits prescribed by law and that the AFL’s rights are fully protected through the provision of legal counsel and guidance.
This role requires the provision of legal expertise towards commercial decision making and ensuring all operations of the AFL are conducted within acceptable parameters.
The role requires a strong “can do” attitude, the confidence to work autonomously when necessary and an ability to adapt to new and challenging legal problems and issues, including the initial management of disputes.
Please note, employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory criminal history record check and a working with children check.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF
The Legal Counsel will act as part of the legal team providing legal advice in the following areas for AFL Departments, AFL Clubs and State Bodies:
- Draft, negotiate, review and advise on all aspects of Marvel Stadium operations, including services, supply and sponsorship agreements, venue hire agreements and event day operations
- Advise on the sale and operation of Marvel Stadium membership products and services including Medallion Club and corporate suites
- Advise on relevant aspects of the Marvel Stadium upgrade project and the interface of that project with the ongoing operation of Marvel Stadium
AFL commercial operations, corporate sales and events
- Draft, negotiate and review all sponsorship agreements, corporate sales and events agreements and amendments and variations as required
- Advise on the operation of the Commercial Operations Guidelines across AFL and affiliated competitions
- Advise on the operation of the AFL and AFLW Collective Bargaining Agreements for sponsor promotions involving players and clubs
- Draft, negotiate and review Player Ambassador Agreements and amendments and variations as required
- Dispute resolution support as required
Membership & Ticketing
- Draft and review agreements and amendments/variations as required
- Review membership and ticketing terms and conditions as required
- Advise on data, privacy and consumer law matters
- Advise in relation to the management and protection of the AFL’s extensive intellectual property portfolio AFL Media and technology
- Draft, negotiate, review and interpret agreements in relation to the AFL’s media activities and other technology infrastructure AFL Venues
- Draft, negotiate, review and interpret venue hire agreements in relation to AFL matches and events
OUR IDEAL TEAM MEMBER
- Bachelor of Laws
- Admitted as a Legal Practitioner in Victoria
- Victorian Practising certificate
- 3-4 years’ post admission experience in a commercial law firm or in an in-house role
- Keen interest in Australian Football
- Understanding of AFL or other relevant sporting environment
- We believe in a Healthy Mind, Healthy Body and Healthy Workplace and our staff have access to an extensive Health and Wellbeing program
- My Development – all employees have access to the AFL’s My development program which consists of on the job training, coaching and mentoring and formal learning.
- AFL Staff Footy Memberships – easy access to the game, staff can share these with family and friends
- My Benefits – staff have access to over 350 discounts with some of the biggest retailers and the AFL’s Corporate Partners
- Play Your Way – A flexible approach to your working life