|Location:||Remote - AU/NZ only|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Finance organization purpose
Global Sales Marketing and Operations (GSMO) Finance is driving shareholder value in 60 subsidiaries and carries the local accountability for the financials as well as statutory and compliance matters across all segments and products. We:
- Land the company vision around the transformation of our business, consumption and customer orientation in the subsidiaries and externally.
- Drive strategic resource allocation and investments through local insights, ensuring optimal returns aligned with our worldwide strategy. Key focus is on New Business with an industry and workload perspective.
- Build trust to lay the foundation of long-term growth from a customer and shareholder point of view in a compliant way.
- Empower and inspire our people to lead and be part of top performing teams while providing diverse career opportunities.
Microsoft Australia is a single subsidiary Area, reporting directly into Worldwide Headquarters in Redmond, WA, USA. It has been a key enabler of the market IT growth through solid partnership with Governments, Enterprise, small and medium as well as IT partners and consumer partners of the region. The Australian Finance team has the responsibility to partner with sales and marketing teams to enable and drive market growth.
Microsoft Finance is a truly global finance team and you will be part of the WW community of Financial Controllers to make each other great and build on each other.
The Statutory & Tax Controller is responsible for timely and accurate completion of statutory and tax filings, including the local statutory financial statements. Where applicable, the role involves partnering with Finance and business stakeholders on tax or statutory requirements and working with external service providers such as Accenture, EY, or KMPG, as well as external parties such as the external auditors or the tax authorities.
Culture & Behavior
You have a growth mindset, act as an entrepreneur that drives business impact, and continuously learn and innovate. You have a capability to actively contribute and build strong collaboration within diverse and virtual teams. You are action oriented and able to build and deliver strong results through others beyond the team as well.
You drive digital transformation in the finance function towards data driven (Machine Learning) forward-looking insights. You also engage directly with customers and business partners.
You simplify and inspire through storytelling and excellent communication skills.
Microsoft values and ethical behavior are a corner stone in our culture.
Being a community lead, you build a high performing, diverse and talented finance community. You are focused on both the individuals as well as the team dimension to attract, develop and retain.
* We are open to have this role operated as a job share
For Australian legal entities:
- Responsible for stat P&L and balance sheet integrity, month end close review and sign off balance sheet reconciliations.
- Payroll support and accounting review and sign-off
- Accountable for accurate stat records and timely annual financial statements in compliance with US GAAP, local AIFRS and local statutory and tax regulation matters across statutory entities.
- Monitor, review, and oversee the Stat & Tax work of One Finance to ensure best ROI. Where applicable, manage accounting ops to ensure financial report integrity and completeness
- Manage external auditor relationship and partner with COE to effectively manage external audit.
- Accountable for accurate and timely income tax and employment filings.
- Cash and tax payment management and forecasting
- Support audits from local tax authorities or other government agencies
- Land global projects in country of operation, and country-driven expansions, with proper financial infrastructure and stat registration in compliance with local accounting, tax regulations and Microsoft global processes
- Drive creation and closure of statutory entities as required.
- Identify all non-standard management transactions (cross-charges, accruals, commission changes) and review their statutory implications before any decision to proceed
- Communicate to Corp tax any important changes in local tax legislation that could affect MS business model (e.g. changes in local Transfer pricing legislation)
- Responsible to support the maintenance of the local transfer Pricing file in line w/ local legislation and in collaboration with Corp tax
- Responsible for other government financial reporting obligations, including Australian Bureau of Statistics surveys.
- Meet local tax and statutory filing requirement for responsible stat entities – no delayed filings
- Cash forecast accuracy / Tax provision forecast accuracy
- Successfully implement the New Leases Standard for IFRS through close collaboration with ROC and Corp Accounting team
- Successfully implement local statutory and tax changes
- Provide business BI from statutory Balance Sheet and Variance reviews
- Green statutory audit (where applicable)
- Proactively collaborate with key partners to early flag and escalate risks and issues
8+ years of active experience in similar role
Statutory (AIFRS, USGAAP) Accounting, Controlling, Tax knowledge (i income tax, GST, and employment taxes (including payroll taxes)
BA/BS or MBA degree in Finance, Economics, CA/CPA preferred
- Balance sheet and P&L accounting, including intercompany, transfer pricing, inventory, COGS and revenue recognition accounting.
- Tax compliance skills
- Understand and educate on the Limited Risk Distributor model where applicable
Intercompany, transfer pricing, inventory, COGS and rev rec
- E-Commerce or on line business tax compliance, i.e. e-invoice
- Project management skills
- Management of key stakeholders and ability to build connections globally
Building connection with corp accounting team
- Stay up to date with Microsoft go to market initiative and gain skills to support.
- Solution capability in helping design and landing of complex new business models.
- Local linguistic skills and local tax rules SME
* We are open to have this role operated as a job share
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.