At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.
About the role
BHP’s Maintenance and Engineering Centre of Excellence (MECoE) is the coming together of a dedicated, innovative team focused on identifying, achieving and maintaining the highest standards in maintenance for BHP globally.
This role will be performed from our Centre of Excellence hub based in our Brisbane office, supported by the latest technology to engage with our sites around Australia and the globe. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds with knowledge and/or experience within the mining industry and simulation disciplines. In return, you will have the opportunity to learn a new industry in a supportive and coaching environment. We offer flexible working options and job share arrangements to promote and support diversity in our workplace. Some travel may be required.
The successful candidate will have a passion for problem solving, be energetic, motivated and bring ingenuity to develop discrete-event simulation models for fixed plant and logistics for the mining and minerals processing industry. As a Dynamic Simulation Specialist, your role will be key in supporting the Systems Dynamics team in ensuring that integrated fit-for-purpose dynamic simulation models are built and used to support the Maintenance and Engineering Centre of Excellence’s Strategy Optimisation and Defect Elimination initiatives, and identify and assess improvement projects across BHP’s operations. You will be part of a global function, whose fundamental outcome is to deliver data driven solutions that will support and improve the performance of our equipment, maintenance processes and operations.
In this role, you will:
- Develop models for mine operations, trucking, rail, supply chain and processing plants using AnyLogic discrete event simulation software.
- Work collaboratively within the larger Data Analytics team and SMEs.
- Interrogate and analyse large data sources for use in understanding problems, and as model inputs. You will apply innovative data modelling and analysis techniques to understand relationships and gain insights from the data.
- Define simulation cases, process model results and develop visualisations to support findings and solutions.
- Present ideas, results and recommendations to internal stakeholders.
You will have experience in discrete event simulation software packages such as AnyLogic, Arena or Simio. Proficiency in using AnyLogic in particular will be highly regarded.
Other attributes will be:
- Experience in analysing complex problems and turning this analysis into practical solutions for plant, equipment and operations performance improvement.
- Experience in mining and/or minerals processing industries, or engineering or consulting in these industries.
- Proficiency with concepts like system architecture, system dynamics, system analysis, statistical analysis, reliability analysis, optimisation and data-driven decision making.
- Use of analytics software such as R or Python, and/or experience with Java to support AnyLogic simulation.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.