South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Cannington is one of the world's largest and lowest-cost producers of silver and lead. Located in northwest Queensland, Cannington boasts an underground mine and processing facility situated approximately 800 kilometres west of Townsville and a concentrate handling facility at the Port of Townsville.
About the role
The purpose of the role is to provide leadership and direction to the Technical Services team to develop and communicate the short-term plans, designs, models, schedules and forecasts for the operation to enable effective completion of production and logistics activities. The Technical Services team is comprised of the Geology, Geotechnical, Mid-Term Scheduling, Mine Design and Survey departments.
Includes but is not limited to:
- Demonstrate leadership through personal behaviours that are consistent with Cannington Coal’s Core Values; Trust, Care, Togetherness and Excellence and Code of Conduct
- Maintain an effective Management Operation System (MOS) within the Technical Services team that is also integrated into the broader site-wide MOS
- Provides input to 5-Year Plan objectives and budget, driving performance and implementation accordingly.
- Directs the team in the development and communication of the short-term (<2 years) plans, designs, models, schedules and forecasts for the Operation to enable the effective completion of production and logistics activities.
- Owns the material Risk Profile for Technical Services and verifies material risk critical controls are appropriately designed, deployed and effective.
- Identify, build and develop talent and capability, producing a pipeline of talent for key Operational roles
- Directs the team in providing services to the Mining team (including but not limited to, mid-term scheduling, mine geology, mine design, and geotechnical) in order to enable the safe and effective execution of the plan
- Tertiary qualification in Engineering
- Post Graduate qualification in Business/Finance and RIIRIS601A beneficial
- Extensive experience in varied Mining and Underground operations
- Strong minerals industry knowledge
- Extensive underground mine planning experience
- Understanding of value-drivers within an underground base metals context
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results and set stretch targets to sustainably and continuously improve
- High-performance mindset
- Engaging leadership style that seeks to understand, sets context often and builds rapport
- First Class Mine Manager's Certificate of Competency or equivalent and RPEQ would be beneficial
- Competitive salary
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.