|Job Type:||Full Time|
Manager Communities and Social Performance, Winu Project
- Unique opportunity to join an innovative project for Rio Tinto in Western Australia
- Help create a long-lasting positive legacy
- Permanent, Western Australian based opportunity
In late 2017, we discovered copper-gold mineralisation at the Winu project in the Paterson Province in Western Australia. We continue working with the local Nyangumarta and Martu Traditional Owners and regulators to progress the agreements and approvals needed for future development of this project.
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We're looking for a Manager, Communities & Social Performance (CSP) to join our Winu project. This opportunity will see you work with businesses, leaders, Traditional Owners, environmental advocates and local community groups to lead a CSP team and forge an inclusive strategy to develop the project safely in a way that protects and respects the area’s unique environment and cultural heritage.
The role requires high level internal and external stakeholder management skills, creativity, business acumen and superior relationship building abilities. You will be required to work across a number of internal disciplines and networks and assist in connecting the project to the broader community.
Reporting to the General Manager, Communities & Social Performance, you will;
- Lead the Winu CSP team in a safe and effective manner, focusing on best practice
- Directly support the Winu senior leadership team with the responsible development of the project
- Develop and implement the Winu CSP strategy and identify, negotiate, implement and maintain agreements, commitments, and/or multi-stakeholder partnerships to reduce risk and strengthen the communities we impact, including agreements we form with Traditional Owners
- Support the management of CSP risks and opportunities associated with Winu activities
- Oversee all CSP aspects of future project expansions at Winu
- Support the resolution of complex CSP situations and challenges
- Manage Winu’s local external stakeholder relationships, including leading the engagement with Traditional Owners, and building positive and sustainable relationships with the communities in which we operate
- Lead on all key CSP areas, including local economic development and cultural heritage
- Maintain best practice and compliance with legal commitments, company policies and standards relating to CSP, including acting as the interface between Group strategy, CSP strategy and Partner to Operate Investment standards
- Implement and maintain effective communities’ systems such as a structured communities engagement model, complaints systems and reporting and measuring mechanisms
- Engage with internal business stakeholders to lead and promote the principles of effective community engagement, the importance of establishing and maintaining social licence to operate, responsible management of land, and preservation of cultural and environmental values
- Report to senior management about CSP at the Winu project to ensure strategy and objectives are met
- Keep track of emerging local, regional, national and global CSP issues and opportunities
- Act as a liaison to other business units with interests in Western Australia
- Manage capability and development of team, ensuring resourcing aligns to the businesses risk profile and objectives
- Provide other professional expertise and advice, guidance and support on team development or other significant CSP related activities
Joining the Winu team at this early stage offers the opportunity to be part of the small team that will define and shape what Winu looks like in the future. You will have the opportunity, and the license, to challenge the traditional approach to mining and influence the development of an operation which will shape the way Rio Tinto develops and operates mines in the future.
What you'll bring
We are seeking an experienced professional in local and regional CSP strategies. This is your opportunity to work on a dynamic project where your work will directly strengthen the Winu project’s partner to operate credentials, consistently articulate, and highlight the positive contribution the project makes to host communities. As an expert in CSP, you are a forward thinker who has the vision and the capability to create and lead the change needed to make that vision happen. As you develop the strategies and drive action to execute them, you do so as an inclusive and engaging leader who has the natural ability to influence change and develop trusted relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. You are a connector, who instils confidence in our stakeholders and who is a trusted advisor to senior leaders.
To be considered for this opportunity you will have:
- University degree(s) in Social Science or related field of study
- Significant experience in Stakeholder Relations, Community Relations, Community Development, Public Involvement, Social Investment or closely related field with solid tenure managing issues on the ground
- Strong interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence and cultural awareness
- Previous experience in the extractive and or natural resource industry
- Proven ability to develop sustainable relationships with Traditional Owners and community stakeholders and solid experience in representing a large organization in large multidisciplinary stakeholder groups
- Solid experience working with senior leaders across a large organization and proven ability to work in a fast-paced networked organization with multiple changing priorities to deliver results
- Previous experience leading small teams
It will also be beneficial if you have knowledge of the local/regional context and stakeholders.
What we offer
- Flexible working arrangements
- A competitive base salary reflective of your experience and annual incentive program
- Immediate access to the Rio Tinto share programme
- Private health insurance contribution for all employees and immediate family members
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Paid parental leave at 9 months (half pay) and 4.5 months full pay
We also offer exclusive employee discounts all over the world together with a wellness program for physical and mental wellbeing through fitness and activity allowances.
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers –generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress. Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium –the world’s first to be certified “responsible” –helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
This role will be based in Western Australia, Monday to Friday with the opportunity to take advantage of flexible working arrangements.
Winu is located in the Yeneena Basin of the Paterson Province in Western Australia, approximately 130 km north of the Telfer mine and 350 km southeast of Port Hedland.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome –they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
Applications close on 3rd December 2020 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)