|Job Type:||Full Time|
Chief Medical Officer
- Leadership opportunity within the Health Safety Environment Security (HSES) Area of Expertise – Health
- Challenging and dynamic position to join a global team
The Rio Tinto Area of Expertise – Health is a key part of the Group HSES function and provides leadership on our HSE Management System ensuring it meets the needs of our business, ensures HSES second line assurance is robust and effective and the HSES technology tools enable business success.
The HSES function is core to our business. Our mission is to be a learning organisation enabling a safe, responsible and productive business that protects and cares for people, the environment and our assets.
Functioning independently and reporting to the Head of Health – Group HSES, as the Chief Medical Officer, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with innovative and diverse people around the world.
The role will provide you with the opportunity to utilise your leadership and experience to own and develop the Occupational Health Programs to the highest standard. As the HSES point person for all elements of Occupational Health and Medicine, the Chief Medical Officer will leverage and work with the Areas of Expertise and Assets to deliver an effective second line HSES assurance program.
What the role entails
- Define priorities, annual objectives and strategic initiatives; track performance as per key performance indicators in order to meet Rio Tinto objectives and targets;
- Drive improvement of worker health performance of Rio Tinto;
- Provide health direction and support to Rio Tinto Management across regions;
- Coordinate the health network of professionals to ensure strategic alignment with regions;
- Identify threats and opportunities to the organization including regulatory watch by working with governmental and other external bodies;
- Represent Rio Tinto in different health forums;
- Identify needs and coordinate research programs that will support Rio Tinto’s strategic plan and objectives;
- Ensure and promote scientific and technical rigor as well as consistency within the Rio Tinto Health function to ensure decisions are based on quality data;
- Promote best practice sharing to facilitate and accelerate the achievement of objectives by facilitating a strong health network;
- Ensure that the skills needed to meet objectives and targets are available within the organization and promote their development to fulfill the actual and future needs of the organization;
- Successfully lead incident investigations impacting employee health;
- Manage all Occupational Health (OH) related Rio Tinto requirements;
- Create and maintain group-wide procedures and any associated training in the areas of occupational health;
- Provide input for the annual Environment Health and Safety (EHS) planning cycle related to OH;
- Coordinate activities and improvement efforts for the industrial hygiene elements of the HSES Management System;
- Work closely with the Industrial Hygiene Lead to promptly address related issues;
- Partner with the ICMM and other industrial hygiene organizations on relevant programs and projects;
- Stay current on trending activities related to the occupational health discipline through attendance at technical conferences, membership in key professional association/trade teams, and benchmark activities with peers and/or strategic partners;
- Monitor regulatory trends and activities related to occupational health that could have an impact on Rio Tinto operations;
- Work in partnership with the Area of Expertise and Asset leaders to understand the health risks at each site;
What we look for
To be considered for this role you will demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Doctor of Medicine and post graduate qualifications (fellowship level) in Occupational Health
- Expertise in the field of occupational health including 10-15 years experience in the occupational health field
- Experience in the implementation of comprehensive exposure assessment and management systems
- Extensive background in mining, mineral processing or related industry
- Engineering control concepts and design with practical implementation experience
- Ability to work well in a team
- Strong communication skills (verbal, written and presentation)
Wherever we operate, and across every part of our business, we strive to create an inclusive culture in which diversity is recognised and valued. Each person has the opportunity to contribute with his or her skills, experience and perspectives. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organisation and fulfilling career.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
Applications close by December 4th, 2020