TEMCO is located in Bell Bay Tasmania and is Australia's only ferro-alloy producer, operating four arc furnaces and a Sinter Plant to produce high-carbon ferromanganese, silicomanganese and sinter.
What the Role Entails
Reporting to the Production Shift Supervisor, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure a safe workplace, identifying and addressing risks appropriately and demonstrating positive safety behaviour.
- Carry out all work in a safe manner ensuring the safety and wellbeing of yourself, other employees, contractors and visitors.
- Report all incidents and hazards as immediately
- Participate in task risk management processes, safety inspections, safety meetings and ongoing safety improvements
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with all internal and external departments
- Participate in the identification, development and implementation of relevant improvement projects
- Participate in activities for continuous improvement in all aspects of work.
- Work with physical assets, plant and equipment as defined by the Operation’s standards and operating procedures
Furnace Tapping Operator:
- Safely undertake core tapping activities ensuring stable furnace performance is maintained
- Monitor molten material quality via sampling and temperature monitoring
- Safely undertake operation of the overhead gantry crane operations
- Make equipment safe to work on through execution of equipment isolation and authority to work processes
- Perform minor process maintenance on furnace equipment (casting machine system, launder refractory maintenance etc)
- Maintain housekeeping standards in the furnace building and surrounding areas via hosing, shovelling and use of mobile equipment
- Complete equipment pre-start inspections prior to use as well as area inspections on all operating equipment (mud gun, drill, poker, fume extraction, casting machine, overhead crane, skips and lifting equipment)
- Raise work notifications for all identified equipment issues
The successful applicant will have a proven track record of:
- Applying safety, health and environmental principles and procedures in a workplace
- Demonstrating knowledge pertaining to basic Health, Safety and Environmental principles in and around a workplace
- Demonstrating knowledge of hazard identification and risk assessment within a workplace
- Working in a small team within a production environment
- High work ethic and attention to detail
- High work attendance and reliable performance
- Improvement focus - identifying best practice and transferring knowledge
Possession of relevant high-risk licenses such as forklift and bridge and gantry crane licenses will be highly regarded. This is a full time, permanent role and the roster for this opportunity is a 4 on, 4 off - DDNN shift roster.
This is a TEMCO Enterprise Agreement (EA) position.