|Job Type:||Full Time|
Manager – Northern Operations - Weipa
- Key leadership role, managing a diverse and unique range of operational teams.
- Coastal location with Residential 5/2 roster- Weipa
- Operational leadership of two operating mines, including mine operations, development, process plant operation, heavy equipment workshop, rail operations and shiploading.
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Manager, Northern Operations which incorporates the full operation of the across two of our operating mines, Andoom and East Weipa
This role is a great opportunity for an experienced and established operational leader, which involves safe execution of all mining, development, rail operations, processing and shiploading activities. This role has responsibility for all Mining and development in Andoom and East Weipa; two beneficiation plants; a 20 km rail loop and export facilities.
Leading on the frontline is one of the most important jobs in our business and comes with a huge amount of responsibility. We need you to motivate, inspire and keep your people safe and well.
With signature leadership training programs, growing and developing is more than an opportunity – it is something we actively plan and make happen. Every day our leaders grow, while our rosters are designed to help you live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family.
Reporting to the General Manager – Weipa Operations, this leadership role, managing a diverse and unique range of operational teams of approx 600 staff and working in a challenging and exciting environment, will result in a wide range of duties including…
- Providing supportive and collaborative leadership to the Northern Operations team across the broader Andoom and East Weipa sites
- Ensuring that all aspects of the sites meet all safety, environmental regulatory and compliance requirements
- Providing representation of Weipa in customer and community relations and activities
- Working closely with the wider management team to ensure services delivery across the portfolio.
What you’ll bring
- A strong commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Ability to promote, mentor and drive a diverse way of thinking
- Significant leadership experience within either a mining, plant or maintenance senior leadership role or similar challenging operational role
- Understanding of the technical aspects involved in mining and plant operations
- Tertiary qualifications preferably within Mining Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines.
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Experience using business improvement methodologies such as: KAIZEN, Lean Six Sigma and Change Management
What we offer
- Be recognised for your contribution - our thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminum – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Rio Tinto Weipa is located 900km north-west of Cairns on the Gulf of Carpentaria and has been operating for over 50 years. Over the years, it has developed into a vibrant and diverse cultural hub of the Western Cape. Weipa offers a coastal community rich in geographical beauty and cultural heritage that provides families with opportunities to participate in leisure activities, sports and community events. With a strong sense of community, the region has plenty of natural beauty to offer including the opportunities for boating, fishing, camping and exploring. The construction of the Amrun project, located 40 kilometres south west of Weipa, has strengthened the economy and provided exciting opportunities for the people of Cape York and Queensland for future generations.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.