|Job Type:||Full Time|
As part of its dedication to providing world-class infrastructure to support the research and education sector across Australia, AARNet has committed to extending its fibre optic cable footprint to reach new locations across the country. We are passionate about building a high quality telecommunications network that will support the next generation of educators, researchers and students into the future.
We are seeking an experienced planning and approvals specialist to join our dynamic Infrastructure Development team, focusing on projects throughout suburban and regional Victoria as we strengthen and expand our network. The role will ensure the timely delivery of approvals, and ensure the cultural heritage due diligence, environmental compliance and statutory approvals for our Victorian optical fibre construction projects.
This role will be an essential driver for these projects, navigating federal, state and local compliance to ensure projects meet requirements and are planned efficiently.
The ideal applicant will have significant experience gaining environmental and cultural heritage project approvals and ensuring due diligence in Victoria. They will be able to work well in teams and autonomously, have excellent negotiation skills and a confident and easy communication style.
This is a maximum term contract which will require travel throughout regional Victoria, and potentially nationally.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Leading engagement with appropriate local, state and federal authorities, Registered Aboriginal Parties and key landowners for fibre optic cable construction
- Ensure project environmental, cultural heritage and statutory compliance, including:
- Providing expert advice on all statutory obligations pertaining to the construction of fibre optic cable
- Obtaining project permits and permissions, including statutory approvals
- Ensuring project compliance
- Ensure contractors understand obligations
- Complete environmental due diligence assessments and reports
- Provide professional support and environmental and cultural advice to project teams during the design, construction and operation of Telecommunications Assets
- Oversee the engagement and management of environment and heritage consultants where required
- Providing project environmental advice, supervision and auditing
- Resolving issues and negotiating conditions
Key Skills & Knowledge
The ideal applicant will have:
- Extensive experience in gaining cultural heritage approvals and statutory approvals for in Victoria
- Experience working on approvals within a telecommunications company for optical fibre construction
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Detailed knowledge of environmental planning and relevant legislation
- Relevant knowledge on construction techniques for telecommunications projects
Previous experience with telecommunications/fibre optic planning will be highly desirable.