|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Specialist Environment – Winu Project
Unique opportunity to join a ground-breaking project for Rio Tinto in Western Australia
High profile role with license to engage across the business model and with senior leaders
Rio Tinto is looking to the Winu Project to break the mould of greenfield project development within the company. Winu is a copper-gold deposit which is being developed in a staged approach applying minimum viable project (MVP) concepts taken from the technology start-up industry to really challenge the traditional way in which a greenfield mining project is developed and operated.
The Winu Operational Readiness (OR) Team is charged with identifying and developing a fit for purpose operation to suit both the Winu Stage 1 MVP operation and establish the foundations for an eventual, larger Stage 2 operation.
An exciting opportunity now exists for a Senior Specialist Environmentto join the Winu Operational Readiness team.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Specialist Environment to provide dedicated support for a dynamic project and diverse stakeholder group at Winu. The role will require FIFO travel to the Winu site; the roster will initially be 8/6 and then transition to site travel on an as needed basis.
This role is a great opportunity to ensure that all relevant aspects of environmental management and compliance are incorporated into the design, systems, procedures and culture of the Winu site. The role will collaborate with numerous contractors, Projects teams, Communities and Social Performance (CSP) teams, HSE professionals and other relevant personnel throughout the Rio Tinto organization in order to drive environmental performance. Engagement with regulators and Traditional Owners will also be required. You will be responsible to:
- Provide leadership support for environmental professionals/contractors to work safely and achieve intended outcomes
- Provide specialist and technical advice on environment approvals, compliance, tenure, issues, mitigation options and requirements to business
- Develop and implement environmental management systems, processes, programs, procedures and assurance for the site
- Oversee environmental surveys, monitoring, research and studies to support environmental approvals and to solve technical environmental challenges
- Engage and influence employee and contractor teams working on site in relation to environmental risks, hazards and controls
- Manage environmental monitoring, data management and reporting for the site
- Engage and influence key regulators, government departments, Traditional Owners and other external stakeholders
What you will bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (Environmental Engineering, Science, Ecology)
- Strong communication skills, including report writing skills and good working knowledge of databases and spreadsheets
- Working understanding of current government regulations, requirements and legislation
- Ability to influence and communicate with various stakeholders
- Capability to organise and seek information utilising your resources and network
- Ability to lead and mentor members of your team and to collaborate with professionals at other Rio Tinto operations.
What we offer
Joining the Winu team at this early stage offers the opportunity to be part of the small team that will define and shape what Winu looks like in the future. You will have the opportunity, and the license, to challenge the traditional approach to mining and put your personal stamp on an operation which will shape the way Rio Tinto develops and operates mines in the future.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us unique.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions. You may also be required to complete on-line assessments as part of the selection process.
Applications for this role will close on November 29th 2020, however we do reserve the right to close the role earlier.
This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia.
All progress begins with pioneers – at Rio Tinto it begins with you.