|Job Type:||Full Time|
Opportunity to join a team of passionate & supportive industry leading experts where you can really drive your future career
Excellence is the vision. You’ll make it a reality
High performing teams that work together to make decisions and get things done more effectively are crucial to Anglo American’s success.
Our company exists to make a real difference for everyone whose lives we touch. We mine the materials that make modern life possible, in ways that are safer, smarter and more responsible.
Here at Anglo American understanding the geological setting of our Metallurgical Coal’s operations is key to delivering an integrated Geoscience solution that encompasses exploration, geological modelling and operational geology.
We currently have three defined mining complexes which operate in the Northern, Central and Southern regions of the Bowen Basin which encompass our 2 OpenCuts (Dawson/Capcoal) and 4 Underground longwall (Moranbah North, Grosvenor, Grasstree and Aquila) operations currently producing up to 25Mtpa of predominately metallurgical coal for export. Anglo American also holds a number of highly prospective coal tenures and projects throughout the Bowen Basin which are managed within the relevant complex.
Reporting to the Geoscience Technical & Governance Manager, you will provide the technical expertise and leadership to characterise geological structure and quantify the associated risks in order to support safe production and breakthrough performance across all mining operations of Metallurgical Coal.
This role will be rewarding, varied and you will be required to:
- Consistently apply Safety & Health principles in all team interactions and acting as a role model to reinforce a workplace culture where safety and health for the site is paramount
- Develop and implement a strategy for structural geology technical work and project support for the Metallurgical Coal business.
- Generate structural geology inputs to the BU strategy; and ultimately implement BU strategy within the discipline.
- Create robust and defendable structural interpretations at various scales by integrating multivariate datasets from drill hole data, geological mapping, remote sensing and geophysics data.
- Generate and update validated geological & structural 3D models and apply advanced structural modelling techniques (e.g. palinspastic restoration, geomechanical/numerical modelling, fracture modelling) to support mine planning, strata and gas management.
- Evaluate and quantify structural uncertainty and communicate the associated risks to internal stakeholders and management.
- Identify and implement Geoscience programmes and technical expertise to reduce risks associated strata at Met Coal operations
- Generate structural geology inputs to the development of the asset management plans and the 5- year plan.
- Support mine sites with the implementation of best-practise structural geology standards and processes in structural data capture, underground/slope mapping and core logging.
- Develop and implement protocols for quality assurance and conduct audits of data capture workflows and be accountable for the collection of fit-for-purpose structural data in exploration and operations.
You will have an unwavering commitment to safe working practices in accordance with Queensland legislation, recognised standards, corporate values and strategies.
Key to your success in this role will be your:
- Strong track record in structural analysis through a variety of roles in research, consultancy and operating companies in the mining and/or petroleum industry
- Extensive experience in structural analysis in different tectonic settings
- Expert capabilities in applying structural geological concepts and methods in an exploration, operational and/or geotechnical context
- Demonstrated experience in the interpretation of a wide variety of geological and geophysical datasets, including geological mapping, downhole geophysics/petrophysics
- Ability to communicate complex geological information across a range of technical abilities and experience levels.
As well as a very competitive salary package, Anglo American offers exceptional training and development opportunities to all employees.
This role can be Brisbane based, regular travel to site is essential.
Applications Close 5th December 2020
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are?
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
Inclusion and Diversity
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all employees. Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged to apply for all vacant positions.