South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
About the role
Reporting to the Vice-President Sustainability, Community and Government, this role will support development of and implement South32’s Sustainability strategy. The role is responsible for identifying ‘whole of company’ actions in response to external and internal sustainability drivers to create and protect value and providing strategic advice on sustainability performance, challenges, risks and opportunities.
Other accountabilities include:
- Manage subject matter experts in the development and delivery of business plans and programs in sustainability , including climate change.
- Integrate strategic sustainability programs into overall corporate strategy to meet South32’s purpose, values and breakthroughs, utilising knowledge of regulation, emerging legislation, societal expectation trends and relevant research.
- Management of reports and papers for Lead Team and Board with input from multi-disciplinary stakeholders.
- Management and assurance of external sustainability reporting disclosures.
- Establish relationships and work to achieve outcomes through influence with external stakeholders.
- Fulfils public facing commitments, including oversight on external sustainability memberships and groups.
- Complete research and stakeholder engagement required to effectively propose new public facing sustainability commitments and embed actions into South32 strategy.
- Promote awareness of sustainability at South 32 and build effective cross-functional teams through collaboration.
This position will be based out of our Perth head office.
- Tertiary qualification in relevant discipline (minimum), post graduate level qualifications desirable
- Extensive technical and applied knowledge in a broad range of sustainability issues in a multi-location, diversified company context.
- Knowledge of ESG factors, trends and expectations regarding investors and other stakeholders.
- Significant experience in a similar role in a large, complex business preferably in mining
- 10+ years’ experience in sustainability issues
- Competitive salaries
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Applications received by November the 30th will be favourable.